Guier History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Many variations of the name Guier have evolved since the time of its initial creation. In Gaelic it appeared as Mag Uidhir, which is derived from the word "odhar," meaning "dun-colored;" in the genitive case, the word is "uidhir."
Early Origins of the Guier family
The surname Guier was first found in County Fermanagh (Irish: Fear Manach) in the southwestern part of Northern Ireland, Province of Ulster, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Guier family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Guier research. Another 66 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1707, 1683 and 1707 are included under the topic Early Guier History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Guier Spelling Variations
A name was often recorded during the Middle Ages under several different spelling variations during the life of its bearer because literacy was rare there was no real push to clearly define any of the languages found in the British Isles at that time. Variations found of the name Guier include Maguire, MacGuire, Guire, Guirey, Guiry and others.
Early Notables of the Guier family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Guier Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Guier migration to the United States
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name Guier:
Guier Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Adam Guier, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Guier Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Heinrich Guier, aged 39, who arrived in New York, NY in 1849 
Contemporary Notables of the name Guier (post 1700)
- David Guier, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 24th District, 1982 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 20) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html