on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the French Gregoire family come from? What is the French Gregoire family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gregoire family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gregoire family history?The prestigious French surname Gregoire is a proud sign of a rich and dynamic ancestry.The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in France were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. The name Gregoire is derived from the ancient Greek personal name Gregorein, which means watchful or awake.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gregoir, Gregoire, Greguer, Greguere, De Gregoire, Degregoire, De Gregoir, Degregoire and many more.
First found in Guyenne where they held a family seat in the village and estates of Gregoire in the department of Lot-et-Garonne in Tarn in the south of France.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gregoire research. Another 180 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1531 and 1650 are included under the topic Early Gregoire History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gregoire Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gregoire Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Basile Gregoire, who arrived in South Carolina in 1756
Gregoire Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Louis Gregoire, who arrived in America in 1804
- D Gregoire, aged 40, landed in New Orleans, La in 1832
- Sen. Gregoire, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Gregoire Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Mathurin Gregoire arrived in Quebec in 1669 from Picardy
- Francois Gregoire who arrived in Quebec in 1685 from Languedoc
- Henri Grégoire (1750-1831), French Roman Catholic priest, constitutional Bishop of Blois and a revolutionary leader
- Jean-Albert Grégoire (1899-1992), French automotive engineer, pioneer of the front-wheel-drive car
- Christine O'Grady Gregoire (b. 1947), American politician, 22nd Governor of the U.S. state of Washington (2005-2013)
- Gilles Grégoire (1926-2006), French Canadian politician, co-founder of the Parti Québécois
- Most Reverend Paul Gregoire, Archbishop of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Gabriel Grégoire (b. 1953), Canadian former CFL defensive lineman for the Montreal Alouettes (1976-1980)
- Joseph-Ernest Grégoire (1886-1980), French Canadian politician
- Mr. Guy L. Gregoire (1890-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Gregoire Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gregoire Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:21.
on orders of $85 or more