Gregerson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
In the mountains of Scotland's west coast and on the Hebrides islands, the ancestors of the Gregerson family were born. Their name comes from the given name Gregory. The Gaelic form of the name was Mac Griogain, which translates as son of Gregory.
Early Origins of the Gregerson family
The surname Gregerson was first found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute, as their origins can be traced back to Griogair, son of the eighth century King Alpin of Scotland, the High King of the Scots and Picts who died in 860 AD. Hence, their famous motto translates from Gaelic as 'Royal is my blood.' They are the principal branch of the Siol Alpine whose representative, King Kenneth the Hardy, was son of MacAlpin, the first King of the Scots.
Important Dates for the Gregerson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gregerson research. Another 407 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1587, 1000, 1603, 1603, 1888, 1671, 1734 and are included under the topic Early Gregerson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gregerson Spelling Variations
In various documents Gregerson has been spelled Since medieval scribes still spelled according to sound, records from that era contain an enormous number of spelling variations. MacGregor, MacGrigor, MacGrioghair (Gaelic) and others.
Early Notables of the Gregerson family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gregerson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gregerson family to Ireland
Some of the Gregerson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gregerson migration to the United States
The descendants of the Dalriadan families who made the great crossing of the Atlantic still dot communities along the east coast of the United States and Canada. In the American War of Independence, many of the settlers traveled north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Clan societies and highland games have allowed Canadian and American families of Scottish descent to recover much of their lost heritage. Investigation of the origins of family names on the North American continent has revealed that early immigrants bearing the name Gregerson or a variant listed above include:
Gregerson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hans Gregerson who arrived in American in 1892
- Lise Grerson who arrived in America in 1896
- Andrews Gregerson who arrived in Arendal in 1899
Gregerson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hans Peter Gregerson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1911 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gregerson (post 1700)
- Florence Gregerson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from North Dakota, 1948 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 13) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html