on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Irish Graney family come from? What is the Irish Graney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Graney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Graney family history?The surname Graney comes from the original Irish "O Grainne," from the female Christian name Grainne. Thus, it is one of a very limited number of matronymic names in Ireland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Greaney, O'Greaney, Greany, O'Greany, Graney, Granny, O'Granie, O'Grane and many more.
First found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where the Justiciary Rolls mention the acquittal of Rawenyld O'Grayne in 1313, who was charged with aiding a convicted robber. The name appears in 16th century Tudor Fiants from the same area.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Graney research. More information is included under the topic Early Graney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Graney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Graney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bridget Graney, who landed in New Orleans in 1851
- K. Graney and family, who arrived in New York in 1863
- Michael Graney, who arrived in Mississippi in 1872
Graney Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Graney, who was recorded in the 1871 census in Ontario
Graney Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Catherine Graney (aged 14), a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Hooghly"
- John Graney (aged 18), a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Hooghly"
- Patrick Graney (aged 20), a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Hooghly"
- John Graney, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Lady Ann"
- Dave Graney, award winning Australian R&B singer
- John Gladstone Graney, Canadian left fielder in Major League Baseball eponym of the "Jack Graney Award"
- Mr. Morris William Graney (1921-1942), British Marine, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking, was listed as missing presumed killed in the evacuation of Singapore in 1942
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Graney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Graney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:22.
on orders of $85 or more