Gosnold History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Gosnold family
The surname Gosnold was first found in Suffolk where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor.
The Gosnay variant and its phonetic variations originated later in Yorkshire where John Gosnay was listed as holding lands in 1447. In this case the name meant "dweller at the island frequented by geese," from the Old English "gos, neg." 
Early History of the Gosnold family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gosnold research. Another 91 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1447, 1455, 1487, 1571, 1607, 1507, 1554, 1547, 1553, 1172, 1560 and 1655 are included under the topic Early Gosnold History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gosnold Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gosnold, Gosney, Gosnall, Gossney, Gossnold, Goosney, Goozney, Goozeney, Goozenay, Gosnolde, Goznall and many more.
Early Notables of the Gosnold family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Bartholomew Gosnold (1571-1607), an English lawyer, explorer, and privateer who was instrumental in founding the Virginia Company of London, and Jamestown in colonial America. He led the first recorded European expedition...
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gosnold Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gosnold family to Ireland
Some of the Gosnold family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 103 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gosnold migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gosnold Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Bartholomew Gosnold, who arrived in New England in 1602 
- Anthony Gosnold, who arrived in Virginia in 1615 
Gosnold Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Gosnold, who landed in Virginia in 1702 
- Thomas Gosnold, who arrived in Virginia in 1714 
Related Stories +
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)