on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Gosnell family come from? What is the English Gosnell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gosnell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gosnell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gosnold, Gosney, Gosnall, Gossney, Gossnold, Goosney, Goozney, Goozeney, Goozenay, Gosnolde, Goznall and many more.
First found in Suffolk where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gosnell research. Another 276 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1447, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Gosnell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gosnell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Gosnell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 151 words(11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gosnell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eliza Gosnell, who landed in Virginia in 1653
- Marg Gosnell, who arrived in Virginia in 1653
- Wm Gosnell, who landed in Virginia in 1658
Gosnell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Frank Gosnell, aged 42, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
- Mrs. Frank Gosnell, aged 40, who landed in America, in 1896
- Mr. Frank Gosnell, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1896
Gosnell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- H. Gosnell, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1908
- Harry Gosnell, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1909
- Mary Gosnell, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Harry Gosnell, aged 34, who settled in America, in 1910
- Thomas Gosnell, aged 22, who emigrated to America from Boyle, Ireland, in 1913
Gosnell Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Gosnell, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Levant Star" from Cork
- Norry Gosnell, aged 23, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Levant Star" from Cork
- Raja Raymond Gosnell (b. 1958), American film director and editor
- Jack Gosnell, US Consul General to St. Petersburg, Russia
- Albert Arthur Gosnell (1880-1972), English international footballer
- Kelvin Gosnell, British comics writer and editor
- Joseph Arthur Gosnell Sr. (b. 1936), distinguished leader of the Nisga'a people of northern British Columbia, Canada
- Thomas Charles Gosnell (b. 1951), Canadian mayor of London, Ontario
- Jim Gosnell, Australian rules footballer
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Gosnell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gosnell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 September 2014 at 21:44.
on orders of $85 or more