Googins History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Googins family
The surname Googins was first found in Kent where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
Early History of the Googins family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Googins research. Another 135 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1106, 1432, 1455, 1487, 1590, 1638, 1616, 1659, 1612, 1687, 1612, 1594, 1638, 1634, 1616, 1659, 1666, 1660 and 1723 are included under the topic Early Googins History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Googins Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gokin, Goken, Gocken, Gockin, Gockeine, Gookin, Gookine, Gochin, Cockin, Cockine, Gocking and many more.
Early Notables of the Googins family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir Vincent Gookin (1590?-1638), English writer about the Irish nation, youngest son of John Gookin, Esq., of Ripple Court in Kent. 
Vincent Gookin (1616?-1659), Surveyor-General of Ireland, eldest son of Sir Vincent Gookin, appears shortly after the death of his father to have disposed of his Gloucestershire property to a Dr...
Another 58 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Googins Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Googins family to Ireland
Some of the Googins family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 122 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Googins family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Googins (post 1700) +
- William Hayes Googins (1838-1926), Union veteran of the American Civil War, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- Scott Googins, American head coach of the University of Cincinnati Bearcats Baseball Team from Granville, Ohio
- Eben H. Googins, American Republican politician, Member of Massachusetts State House of Representatives Fourth Middlesex District, 1905 
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 21) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html