on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Goodliffe family come from? What is the English Goodliffe family crest and coat of arms? When did the Goodliffe family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Goodliffe family history?The Goodliffe name comes from the Middle English words "gode," meaning "good," and "ladde," or "lad," meaning "a servant;" as such, it was likely originally a nickname for a trusted servant, which was later taken on as a surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Goodlet, Goddlett, Goodley, Goodly, Goodlad, Goodlat, Goodlatt, Goodlatte, Goodlegh, Gudlad, Goodleigh, Goodlaw, Guidlaw, Guidlad and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where in 1301 the Subsidy Rolls of Yorkshire list Robert Godelad as holding lands at that time. Years later, William Goodlad was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Cumberland in 1332. William Goodland was listed in Yorkshire in 1464. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goodliffe research. Another 403 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1491, 1645, 1510, 1600, 1437, 1576, 1639 and 1620 are included under the topic Early Goodliffe History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 53 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Goodliffe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Goodliffe Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Joseph Goodliffe, aged 46, who landed in America from New Bawley, England, in 1911
- Maria Goodliffe, aged 52, who emigrated to the United States from New Bawley, England, in 1911
- Clara Goodliffe, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Sleaford, England, in 1912
- Harold Goodliffe, aged 19, who emigrated to America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1912
- Ethel Maude M. Goodliffe, aged 33, who landed in America from Bristol, England, in 1922
Goodliffe Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Robert Goodliffe, aged 23, a blacksmith, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Telegraph"
- John Goodliffe (aged 19), a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Eliza"
- Lawrence Michael Andrew Goodliffe (1914-1976), English actor
- Major Guy Vernon Goodliffe MC (1883-1963), British Army career officer and an English cricketer
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Goodliffe Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Goodliffe Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 November 2015 at 06:58.
on orders of $85 or more