100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Golson was first found in Bedfordshire
(Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England
, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon
kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1273 when Hugh, Michael and Ralph Goldstone held estates in that shire.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gouldston, Goulston, Goldston, Goulston, Goulson, Gouldson, Goldson, Golstone, Gouldstone, Gulston, Guldston, Gulson, Gulderson, Goolston and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Golson research. Another 199 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1455, 1487, 1636, 1684, 1679, 1760, 1816, 1808, 1816 and 1812 are included under the topic Early Golson History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 89 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Golson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Golson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Grisell Golson, who landed in Maryland in 1650
- Matthew Golson, who arrived in Maryland in 1650
- Sarah Golson, who landed in Maryland in 1650
Golson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carrie Golson, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Etty Golson, aged 14, who landed in America from Yarmouth, England, in 1912
- Fanny Golson, aged 36, who emigrated to America from Yarmouth, England, in 1912
- Hyman Golson, aged 16, who landed in America from Yarmouth, England, in 1912
- Polly Golson, aged 11, who settled in America from Yarmouth, England, in 1912
- Everett Golson (b. 1993), American football quarterback for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- Barry Golson, American editor, journalist, and author, recipient of the Lowell Thomas Travel Writing Award (2004)
- Gregory Joseph Golson (b. 1985), American Major League Baseball outfielder for the Chicago White Sox
- Benny Golson (b. 1929), American bebop/hard bop jazz tenor saxophonist, composer, and arranger, recipient of the International Academy of Jazz Outstanding Lifetime Achievement Award (2007)
- H. R. Golson, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 1908
- Gerald E. Golson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 1964
- Jack Golson (b. 1926), English archaeologist, best known for his work in Melanesia, Polynesia and Micronesia
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
The Golson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Golson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 February 2016 at 19:23.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!