on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Golson family come from? What is the English Golson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Golson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Golson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gouldston, Goulston, Goldston, Goulston, Goulson, Gouldson, Goldson, Golstone, Gouldstone, Gulston, Guldston, Gulson, Gulderson, Goolston and many more.
First found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1273 when Hugh, Michael and Ralph Goldstone held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Golson research. Another 199 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1455, 1487, 1636, 1684, 1679, 1760, 1816, 1808, 1816 and 1812 are included under the topic Early Golson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 89 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Golson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Golson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Grisell Golson, who landed in Maryland in 1650
- Matthew Golson, who arrived in Maryland in 1650
- Sarah Golson, who landed in Maryland in 1650
Golson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carrie Golson, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Etty Golson, aged 14, who landed in America from Yarmouth, England, in 1912
- Fanny Golson, aged 36, who emigrated to America from Yarmouth, England, in 1912
- Hyman Golson, aged 16, who landed in America from Yarmouth, England, in 1912
- Polly Golson, aged 11, who settled in America from Yarmouth, England, in 1912
- Benny Golson (b. 1929), American bebop/hard bop jazz tenor saxophonist, composer, and arranger, recipient of the International Academy of Jazz Outstanding Lifetime Achievement Award (2007)
- Gregory Joseph Golson (b. 1985), American Major League Baseball outfielder for the Chicago White Sox
- Barry Golson, American editor, journalist, and author, recipient of the Lowell Thomas Travel Writing Award (2004)
- Everett Golson (b. 1993), American football quarterback for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- Jack Golson (b. 1926), English archaeologist, best known for his work in Melanesia, Polynesia and Micronesia
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
The Golson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Golson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 May 2013 at 10:59.
on orders of $85 or more