Golledge History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The present generation of the Golledge family is only the most recent to bear a name that dates back to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. Their name comes from having lived in Coldridge, in Devon. Alternatively, the family dould have originated in Colwich, a parish, in the S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, union, and N. division of the county of Staffordshire. 
"A writer in West Scotland said there was a family or families named Colledge resident for many generations at Hawick, Darnick, near Melrose, and Lauder; in Edinburgh for over 200 years and also in Glasgow." 
Early Origins of the Golledge family
The surname Golledge was first found in Nottinghamshire, where Brian de Colewich was registered in 1210. 
The family were more often than not in "the west of England any court or group of cottages having a common entrance from the street is called a college, and residence at such a place. probably originated the name." 
Records of the family are very scarce. The Wills at Chester list John Colledge, of Colne, dotkworker, 1639. 
Early History of the Golledge family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Golledge research. Another 63 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1578, 1639, 1670, 1635 and 1681 are included under the topic Early Golledge History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Golledge Spelling Variations
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Golledge include Colledge, College, Collage, Gollege, Golledge, Callage, Calledge, Gollidge, Collige, Collidge and many more.
Early Notables of the Golledge family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Golledge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Golledge migration to the United States +
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Golledge were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Golledge Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Joane Golledge, who landed in Maryland in 1668 
Contemporary Notables of the name Golledge (post 1700) +
Historic Events for the Golledge family +
- Mr. Nelson Victor Golledge, British Petty Officer Stoker, who sailed into battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ Barber, Henry, British Family Names London: Elliot Stock, 62 Paternoster Row, 1894. Print.
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Lower, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ HMS Prince of Wales Crew members. (Retrieved 2014, April 9) . Retrieved from http://www.forcez-survivors.org.uk/biographies/listprincecrew.html