on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Glendenning family come from? What is the Scottish Glendenning family crest and coat of arms? When did the Glendenning family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Glendenning family history?The Glendenning surname was taken on from the place name Glendonwyne, a parish of Westkirk, Dumfries, on record since the 14th century.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Glendinning, Glendowyn, Glendowyne, Glendonyn, Glendonwyn, Glendening, Glendon, Glenden, Glendin, Glendining, Glendinnin, Glendyning, Glendounn, Clendenning, Clendinning and many more.
First found in Roxburghshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glendenning research. Another 259 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1451, 1667, 1408, 1387, 1388 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Glendenning History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 215 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glendenning Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Glendenning family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glendenning Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- David Glendenning, who settled in Virginia in 1756
Glendenning Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Glendenning who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1856
- Albert Glendenning, aged 25, who settled in America from Londonderry, in 1894
- James Glendenning, aged 38, who emigrated to the United States from Tampico, in 1897
Glendenning Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Elizabeth Glendenning, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Derry, Ireland, in 1908
- Henry Glendenning, aged 47, who settled in America from Northwich, England, in 1910
- Jessie Glendenning, aged 26, who landed in America from Portsmouth, England, in 1911
- John W. Glendenning, aged 27, who landed in America from Portsmouth, England, in 1911
- Mary Glendenning, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Pettigo, Ireland, in 1911
Glendenning Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Clarence Glendenning, aged 23, who emigrated to Saskatchewan, Canada, in 1913
Glendenning Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Glendenning arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Harpley" in 1849
- John Glendenning, aged 38, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Omega"
- Roy Glendenning, American politician, Supervisor of Hartland Township, Michigan, 1938
- James R. Glendenning, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 4th District, 1992
- Howard A. Glendenning, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Marshall County, 1972
- William Glendenning, Australian butcher in the early 1900s, eponym of Glendenning, New South Wales
- Candace Glendenning (b. 1953), English actress
- John Murray Glendenning (1872-1962), Canadian politician in Alberta
- Robert "Bob" Glendenning (1888-1940), English professional footballer
- Raymond Glendenning (1907-1974), BBC radio sports commentator
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Glendenning Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Glendenning Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 October 2015 at 11:30.
on orders of $85 or more