100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Glendenning surname was taken on from the place name Glendonwyne, a parish of Westkirk, Dumfries, on record since the 14th century.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Glendinning, Glendowyn, Glendowyne, Glendonyn, Glendonwyn, Glendening, Glendon, Glenden, Glendin, Glendining, Glendinnin, Glendyning, Glendounn, Clendenning, Clendinning and many more.
First found in Roxburghshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glendenning research. Another 259 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1451, 1667, 1408, 1387, 1388 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Glendenning History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 215 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glendenning Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Glendenning family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glendenning Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- David Glendenning, who settled in Virginia in 1756
Glendenning Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Glendenning who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1856
- Albert Glendenning, aged 25, who settled in America from Londonderry, in 1894
- James Glendenning, aged 38, who emigrated to the United States from Tampico, in 1897
Glendenning Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Elizabeth Glendenning, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Derry, Ireland, in 1908
- Henry Glendenning, aged 47, who settled in America from Northwich, England, in 1910
- Jessie Glendenning, aged 26, who landed in America from Portsmouth, England, in 1911
- John W. Glendenning, aged 27, who landed in America from Portsmouth, England, in 1911
- Mary Glendenning, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Pettigo, Ireland, in 1911
Glendenning Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Clarence Glendenning, aged 23, who emigrated to Saskatchewan, Canada, in 1913
Glendenning Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Glendenning arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Harpley" in 1849
- John Glendenning, aged 38, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Omega"
- Roy Glendenning, American politician, Supervisor of Hartland Township, Michigan, 1938
- James R. Glendenning, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 4th District, 1992
- Howard A. Glendenning, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Marshall County, 1972
- William Glendenning, Australian butcher in the early 1900s, eponym of Glendenning, New South Wales
- Candace Glendenning (b. 1953), English actress
- John Murray Glendenning (1872-1962), Canadian politician in Alberta
- Robert "Bob" Glendenning (1888-1940), English professional footballer
- Raymond Glendenning (1907-1974), BBC radio sports commentator
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
The Glendenning Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Glendenning Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 February 2016 at 18:57.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!