Hundreds of years ago, the Gaelic name used by the Ginity family in Ireland
was O Fionnachta, which is derived from the words "fionn," meaning "fair," and "sneachta," meaning "snow."
Early Origins of the Ginity family
The surname Ginity was first found in County Londonderry
(Irish: Doire), a Northern Irish county also known as Derry, in the province of Ulster
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, enjoying a common heritage with the O'Cahans and the O'Neills. They were descended from the Princes of Limavady in Derry, specifically Conchobhar (Connor) a younger brother of Niall Frasach, brother of the King of Ireland
. Descended from Connor was Gruagan of the Grogans, Dungan, Cathan, Cathusach, Dermod, to his son Con Cionntach, who was first to assume the name of MacGinty, which anglicized is MacGinty and Ginty.
Early History of the Ginity family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ginity research.Another 107 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ginity History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ginity Spelling Variations
The Middle Ages saw a great number of spelling variations
for surnames common to the Irish landscape. One reason for these variations is the fact that surnames were not rigidly fixed by this period. The following variations for the name Ginity were encountered in the archives: Maginty, MacGinty, McGinty, Ginty, Ginity, Maginnity, O'Ginty, Genty, MacGenty and many more.
Early Notables of the Ginity family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ginity Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ginity family to the New World and Oceana
A great mass of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century, seeking relief from various forms of social, religious, and economic discrimination. This Irish exodus was primarily to North America. If the migrants survived the long ocean journey, many unfortunately would find more discrimination in the colonies of British North America and the fledgling United States of America. These newly arrived Irish were, however, wanted as a cheap source of labor for the many large agricultural and industrial projects that were essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest nations in the western world. Early immigration and passenger lists indicate many people bearing the Ginity name: George and James McGinnity who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1850 and 1842 respectively; Bernard, Charles, Daniel, Edward, George, James, John, Matthew, Michael, Owen, Patrick, Samuel, Thomas, and Timothy McGinty who settled in Philadelphia between 1846 and 1866.
The Ginity Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Felis demulcata mitis
Motto Translation: A stroked cat is gentle.