100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, English
Where did the English Gilson family come from? What is the English Gilson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gilson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gilson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gillson, Gilson, Gillieson and others.
First found in Dumfriesshire and in Warwickshire at Gilson, a hamlet that dates back to 1232 AD. Gilston is a village near Harlow in the county of Hertfordshire. It dates back to 1197 when it was first listed as Gedelston and literally meant "farmstead or village of a man called Gedel or Gydel," from the Old English personal name + "tun." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gilson research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1150 and 1500 are included under the topic Early Gilson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gilson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Gilson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 35 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gilson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Gilson, who arrived in New England in 1633
- Ann Gilson settled in New England in 1635
- Thomas Gilson settled in Barbados in 1635
- Ann Gilson, aged 34, arrived in America in 1635
- Andrew Gilson, who landed in Virginia in 1650
Gilson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Eliza Gilson, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
Gilson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Gilson, aged 35, arrived in Massachusetts in 1812
- John Gilson, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
- Tinely Gilson, aged 25, arrived in New York in 1849
- Thomas Gilson, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1884
- Tom Gilson (1934-1962), American actor
- Harold "Hal" Gilson (b. 1942), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Georges Robert Edmond Gilson (b. 1929), French Catholic bishop
- Étienne Gilson (1884-1978), French Thomistic philosopher and historian of philosophy
- Glenda Gilson (b. 1981), Irish model and television presenter
- Paul Gilson (1865-1942), Belgian musician and composer
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
The Gilson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gilson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 September 2015 at 16:38.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!