Gholson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gholson family
The surname Gholson was first found in the Domesday Book of 1086 where there are two listings of the family: Goldstan in Kent, and Goilstan in Essex. 
These two counties figured prominently for the family. Wulfric filius Goldston was listed in the Pipe Rolls for Kent in 1180, Richard Golstan was a Knights Templar in Essex in 1185, and John de Goldeston was in the Feet of Fines for Essex in 1312.
The Assize Rolls for Bedfordshire including a listing of Walter Goldstan in 1202 and later the Curia Regis Rolls had another listing of the same person in 1214. In Devon, Robert Goldstone was listed there in 1312. 
According to the voice of tradition, the family held Goldstone Manor at Ash, Kent but records of that manor have been lost.
Early History of the Gholson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gholson research. Another 157 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1524, 1523, 1733, 1797, 1572, 1632, 1636, 1684, 1679, 1760, 1816, 1808, 1816 and 1812 are included under the topic Early Gholson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gholson Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gouldston, Goulston, Goldston, Goulston, Goulson, Gouldson, Goldson, Golstone, Gouldstone, Gulston, Guldston, Gulson, Gulderson, Goolston and many more.
Early Notables of the Gholson family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Theodore Goulston or Gulston (1572-1632), English physician, son of William Goulston, rector of Wymondham, Leicestershire.
William Gulston (1636-1684), was an English clergyman, Bishop of Bristol from 1679; and...
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gholson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Gholson is the 12,215th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Gholson migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gholson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ida Gholson, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Stuart Gholson, aged 21, who immigrated to America, in 1907
- Mary Gholson, aged 17, who landed in America, in 1911
|Contemporary Notables of the name Gholson (post 1700) ||+|
- Christien Gholson, American novelist, best known for his book, A Fish Trapped Inside the Wind
- Thomas Saunders Gholson (1808-1868), prominent American Confederate politician
- Richard Dickerson Gholson (1804-1862), American politician, the 3rd American Territorial Governor of Washington (1859-1861)
- Thomas Gholson Jr. (1780-1816), American lawyer and politician who represented Virginia from 1808 to 1816 in the United States House of Representatives
- James Herbert Gholson (1798-1848), American congressman, lawyer and judge from Virginia, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Virginia (1833-1835)
- William Yates Gholson (1807-1870), American Republican politician and jurist, Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court (1859-1863) 
- Samuel Jameson Gholson (1808-1883), American judge for the district of Mississippi (1838-1861), US Congressman, and Confederate Army Brigadier-General (1864)
- Linda Gholson, American Republican politician, Nominated in primary for Texas State House of Representatives 80th District 1992, but withdrew before election 
- James Herbert Gholson (1798-1848), American Democratic Party politician, Member of Virginia State House of Delegates, 1824-28, 1830-33; U.S. Representative from Virginia 4th District, 1833-35; Circuit Judge in Virginia 
- Harris Gholson, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Mississippi, 1952, 1956 
- ... (Another 6 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2011, July 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html