100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Gholson family come from? What is the English Gholson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gholson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gholson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gouldston, Goulston, Goldston, Goulston, Goulson, Gouldson, Goldson, Golstone, Gouldstone, Gulston, Guldston, Gulson, Gulderson, Goolston and many more.
First found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1273 when Hugh, Michael and Ralph Goldstone held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gholson research. Another 199 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1455, 1487, 1636, 1684, 1679, 1760, 1816, 1808, 1816 and 1812 are included under the topic Early Gholson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 89 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gholson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gholson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ida Gholson, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Stuart Gholson, aged 21, who emigrated to America, in 1907
- Mary Gholson, aged 17, who landed in America, in 1911
- Samuel Jameson Gholson (1808-1883), American judge for the district of Mississippi (1838-1861), US Congressman, and Confederate Army Brigadier-General (1864)
- William Yates Gholson (1807-1870), American Republican politician and jurist, Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court (1859-1863)
- James Herbert Gholson (1798-1848), American congressman, lawyer and judge from Virginia, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Virginia (1833-1835)
- Thomas Gholson Jr. (1780-1816), American lawyer and politician who represented Virginia from 1808 to 1816 in the United States House of Representatives
- Richard Dickerson Gholson (1804-1862), American politician, the 3rd American Territorial Governor of Washington (1859-1861)
- Thomas Saunders Gholson (1808-1868), prominent American Confederate politician
- Christien Gholson, American novelist, best known for his book, A Fish Trapped Inside the Wind
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
The Gholson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gholson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 February 2014 at 08:46.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!