100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gouldston, Goulston, Goldston, Goulston, Goulson, Gouldson, Goldson, Golstone, Gouldstone, Gulston, Guldston, Gulson, Gulderson, Goolston and many more.
First found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1273 when Hugh, Michael and Ralph Goldstone held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gholson research. Another 199 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1455, 1487, 1636, 1684, 1679, 1760, 1816, 1808, 1816 and 1812 are included under the topic Early Gholson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 89 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gholson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gholson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ida Gholson, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Stuart Gholson, aged 21, who emigrated to America, in 1907
- Mary Gholson, aged 17, who landed in America, in 1911
- Christien Gholson, American novelist, best known for his book, A Fish Trapped Inside the Wind
- Thomas Saunders Gholson (1808-1868), prominent American Confederate politician
- Richard Dickerson Gholson (1804-1862), American politician, the 3rd American Territorial Governor of Washington (1859-1861)
- Thomas Gholson Jr. (1780-1816), American lawyer and politician who represented Virginia from 1808 to 1816 in the United States House of Representatives
- James Herbert Gholson (1798-1848), American congressman, lawyer and judge from Virginia, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Virginia (1833-1835)
- William Yates Gholson (1807-1870), American Republican politician and jurist, Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court (1859-1863)
- Linda Gholson, American Republican politician, Nominated in primary for Texas State House of Representatives 80th District 1992, but withdrew before election
- James Herbert Gholson (1798-1848), American Democrat politician, Member of Virginia State House of Delegates, 1824-28, 1830-33; U.S. Representative from Virginia 4th District, 1833-35; Circuit Judge in Virginia
- Harris Gholson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Mississippi, 1952, 1956
- C. Winston Gholson, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Paducah, Kentucky, 1963
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Gholson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gholson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 November 2015 at 09:40.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!