Gebhart History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Gebhart family
The surname Gebhart was first found in Silesia, where this family name dates back to at least the 9th century. The name is derived from the Old High German elements "geb" which means "gift" and "hard" meaning "brave, hardy." One of the first records of the name was Gebhard of Lahngau (c. 860-910) of the Conradine dynasty, son of Odo (died 879) who was Duke of Lotharingia (903-910.) A few years later, Saint Gebhard (949-995) was a bishop of Constance (979-995) and founded the Benedictine abbey of Petershausen in 983.
Early History of the Gebhart family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gebhart research. Another 156 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1622, 1802, 1023, 1023, 1023, 1036, 1036, 1060, 1010, 1088, 1060, 1547, 1600 and 1584 are included under the topic Early Gebhart History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gebhart Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gebhardt, Gebhard, Gebheart, Gebhart, Gephard, Gephardt, Gephart, Gebheard, Gebbard, Gebbart, Gebbardt, Gabhart and many more.
Early Notables of the Gebhart family (pre 1700)
Notables of the period with the surname Gebhart were Gebhard I (died 1023), known as Gebhard of Swabia, Bishop of Regensburg from 994 to 1023. He achieved fame for his generosity to the poor Black Forest farmers around 990 A.D. He was succeeded by Gebhard II, called Gebhard von Hohenwart, who was the bishop of Regensburg (or Ratisbon) from 1023 to 1036. His son, Gebhard III, called...
Another 66 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gebhart Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gebhart migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gebhart Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Philip Gebhart, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738 
- Nicklas Gebhart, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1747 
- Joseph Gebhart, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Melchior Gebhart, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Conrad Gebhart, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Gebhart Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacob Gebhart, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1840 
- Anna Gebhart, aged 22, who arrived in New York, NY in 1855 
- Anton Gebhart, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1860 
- Peter Gebhart, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1862 
Gebhart Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Gebhart, who arrived in Arkansas in 1901 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gebhart (post 1700) +
- Mark E. Gebhart MD,, American physician, founder of The National Center for Medical Readiness (NCMR)
- Benjamin Gebhart, American inventor of the Gebhart factor used in radiative heat transfer
- Charles Frederick Gebhart (1891-1942), birth name of Buck Jones, an American motion picture star of the 1920s through the 1940s, known for his starring roles in many popular western movies
- Timo Gebhart (b. 1989), German footballer
- Émile Gebhart (1839-1908), French academic and writer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)