100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: French, German, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Gass family come from? What is the Scottish Gass family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gass family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gass family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gass, Gasse and others.
First found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gass research. Another 297 words(21 lines of text) covering the year 1626 is included under the topic Early Gass History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gass Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gass Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Gass, aged 20, arrived in St Christopher in 1635
- Jon Gass, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Gass Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob, Gass Jr., who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Frederich Gass, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Frederick, Gass Jr., who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Friedrich Gass, who landed in America in 1735
- Martin Gass, who landed in America in 1736
Gass Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Gass, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1804
- John J Gass, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Henry Gass, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Samuel Gass, aged 48, arrived in Tennessee in 1812
- Joseph Gass, who arrived in New York in 1835
Gass Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Monika Gass, aged 13, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- William H Gass (b. 1924), American novelist and short story writer
- Craig Gass (b. 1970), American stand-up comedian
- Kyle Gass (b. 1960), American actor and a member of the bands Tenacious D and Trainwreck
- Sir Michael David Irving Gass (1916-1983), Colonial Secretary of Hong Kong from 1965 - 1969
- Patrick Gass, Sergeant in the Lewis and Clark Expedition
- A J Gass (b. 1975), Canadian CFL football player
- Donald M. Gass M.D., Ophthalmology pioneer in retinal diseases
- Melbourne Gass, Canadian politician
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
The Gass Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gass Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2014 at 14:02.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!