Gambier History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gambier family
The surname Gambier was first found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where the family has been a prominent family for centuries, and held a family seat with lands and manor. The family were well established in the region of Calvados and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility.
Early History of the Gambier family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gambier research. Another 148 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1471, 1833, 1723, 1789, 1743, 1756, 1833, 1723, 1789, 1794, 1879, 1752 and 1813 are included under the topic Early Gambier History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gambier Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gambe, le Gambe, Gambert, Gambier, Gambet, le Gambet, Gambart, Gampert, Gambette, Gambu, Gamba and many more.
Early Notables of the Gambier family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family in this period was James Gambier (1723-1789), English vice-admiral, the grandson of a Norman Huguenot who left France on the revocation of the edict of Nantes, brother of John Gambier, lieutenant-governor of the Bahamas, and uncle of James, lord Gambier [q. v.] He was made a lieutenant by Admiral...
Another 52 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gambier Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In France, the name Gambier is the 1,878th most popular surname with an estimated 3,278 people with that name. 
Gambier migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gambier Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Michel Gambier, who arrived in Louisiana in 1719 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gambier (post 1700) +
- Thomas Gambier Parry (1816-1888), British artist and art collector
- Gambier Bolton (d. 1929), British author, lecturer on natural history, researcher of psychical phenomena
Related Stories +
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)