100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gamaches, Gamages, Gamache, Gamage, Gamich and many more.
First found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where they held a family seat at Gamaches at Eure in the arrondisement Les Andelys in the canton of Etrepagne. They were a great aristocratic family. The first of this line on record was Godfrey de Gamages, a Norman Baron who held Mansell Gamage in the county of Hereford in England. He had been granted those lands by William, Duke of Normandy, in his conquest of England. In 1184 Matthew and William Gamaches were the Lords who gave a gift to the Abbey of Lyre in a tithe dated that year and executed in Flipou.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gamache research. Another 113 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gamache History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gamache Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gamache Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Chani Gamache, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
Gamache Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Daniel Gamache, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Chassagnes, France, in 1919
- Joseph Gamache, aged 22, who emigrated to America from Lyon, France, in 1919
- James Gamache, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1923
- Tom Gamache, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1924
Gamache Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Nicolas Gamache settled in Quebec in 1652 from Ile-de-France, a central province which includes Paris
Gamache Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Clement Gamache, aged 60, who emigrated to Quebec, Canada, in 1912
- Henri Gamache, American pseudonym of an unknown author who wrote books about magic in the 1940s
- Justinne "Jussi" Gamache, American lead singer of the indie synthpop band Freezepop who uses the stage name of Liz Enthusiasm
- Joey Gamache (b. 1966), American retired professional boxer who had 59 fights with 55 wins, former WBA Super Featherweight, and WBA Lightweight Champion
- Robert J. Gamache (b. 1916), American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Manchester 3rd Ward, 1938; Member of New Hampshire State Senate, 1947-48
- John Gamache, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of St. Ann, Missouri, 2007
- Elwelyn Gamache, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Maine, 1936
- Donald L. Gamache, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wexford District, 1954; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1964
- Simon Gamache (b. 1981), Canadian professional NHL ice hockey player, CHL Player of the Year in 2001
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
The Gamache Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gamache Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 February 2016 at 12:53.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!