100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Gamache was first found in Normandy
(French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy
, where they held a family seat
at Gamaches at Eure in the arrondisement Les Andelys in the canton of Etrepagne. They were a great aristocratic family. The first of this line on record was Godfrey de Gamages, a Norman Baron
who held Mansell Gamage in the county of Hereford in England
. He had been granted those lands by William, Duke of Normandy, in his conquest of England. In 1184 Matthew and William Gamaches were the Lords who gave a gift to the Abbey of Lyre in a tithe dated that year and executed in Flipou.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gamaches, Gamages, Gamache, Gamage, Gamich and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gamache research. Another 113 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gamache History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Gamache Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gamache Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Chani Gamache, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
Gamache Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Daniel Gamache, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Chassagnes, France, in 1919
- Joseph Gamache, aged 22, who emigrated to America from Lyon, France, in 1919
- James Gamache, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1923
- Tom Gamache, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1924
Gamache Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Nicolas Gamache settled in Quebec in 1652 from Ile-de-France, a central province which includes Paris
Gamache Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Clement Gamache, aged 60, who emigrated to Quebec, Canada, in 1912
- Henri Gamache, American pseudonym of an unknown author who wrote books about magic in the 1940s
- Justinne "Jussi" Gamache, American lead singer of the indie synthpop band Freezepop who uses the stage name of Liz Enthusiasm
- Joey Gamache (b. 1966), American retired professional boxer who had 59 fights with 55 wins, former WBA Super Featherweight, and WBA Lightweight Champion
- Robert J. Gamache (b. 1916), American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Manchester 3rd Ward, 1938; Member of New Hampshire State Senate, 1947-48
- John Gamache, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of St. Ann, Missouri, 2007
- Elwelyn Gamache, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Maine, 1936
- Donald L. Gamache, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wexford District, 1954; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1964
- Simon Gamache (b. 1981), Canadian professional NHL ice hockey player, CHL Player of the Year in 2001
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Gamache Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gamache Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 February 2016 at 12:53.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!