100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Gager was first found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where the family has been a prominent family for centuries, and held a family seat with lands and manor. The family were well established in the region of Calvados and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility.The name is derived from the occupational name for a player on the fiddle, from the word "geige" meaning "fiddle."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gager, Gagern, Gagers, Gage, Gages, Gagge, Geiger and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gager research. Another 171 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1685, 1774, 1854, 1555 and 1622 are included under the topic Early Gager History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 23 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gager Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gager Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Gager, who landed in Charlestown, Massachusetts in 1630
Gager Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John B Gager, aged 25, arrived in Missouri in 1844
- Felix Gager, aged 22, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- James H Gager, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1849
- Michael Gager, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1851
- W Gager, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Gager Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Noah Gager, who landed in Canada in 1836
Gager Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Charles Gager, English convict from Suffolk, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Samuel R. Gager (1763-1835), American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Sharon, 1821-22, 1829
- Samuel Austin Gager (1803-1846), American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bozrah, 1839
- Samuel Gager (1775-1855), American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bozrah, 1824, 1826
- John J. Gager, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bozrah, 1893-94
- Herman Arod Gager (1859-1923), American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Franklin, 1919-20
- Harry Andrews Gager (1883-1929), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1924
- Benjamin A. Gager, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Somers; Elected 1920
- Herbert Gager (b. 1969), retired Austrian international football defender
- John Goodrich Gager Jr. (b. 1937), retired Professor of Religion at Princeton University
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
The Gager Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gager Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 January 2016 at 21:39.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!