Early Origins of the Freyck family
The surname Freyck was first found in Roxburghshire
where the family name is derived from the place of the same name near Lilliesleaf in Roxburghshire
. The name of this town in turn comes from the ancient word "firth" meaning "bay." In their early history the Firth family became involved in the south Scotland
Early History of the Freyck family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Freyck research.Another 337 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1522, 1565, 1606, 1630 and 1630 are included under the topic Early Freyck History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Freyck Spelling Variations
During the era when a person's name, tribe and posterity was one of his most important possessions, many different spellings were found in the archives examined. Freyck occurred in many references, and spelling variations
of the name found included Firth, Fyrth, Firthe, Firths and others.
Early Notables of the Freyck family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Freyck Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Freyck family to the New World and Oceana
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland
many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of illness and the elements, were buried at sea. In North America, early immigrants bearing the family name Freyck, or a spelling variation of the surname include: Isaac Firth who landed in America in 1698; Elizabeth Firth settled in Maryland in 1722; George Firth settled in Nova Scotia in 1774; Albert, B.G. Barker, Charles, Daniel, Greenwood, Henry, James, John, Joseph, Richard, Samuel, Thomas and William Firth, all settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1805 and 1874. In Newfoundland, Gideon Firth settled in Harbour Grace in 1771.
The Freyck Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Deus incrementum dedit
Motto Translation: God has given increase.