The name Foull has a long Anglo-Saxon
heritage. The name comes from when a family lived in the region beside an enclosed pen for animals. In particular the surname Foull can be in Bolton in the county of Lancashire
. The surname Foull may also be an occupational
name for someone who looked after sheep.
Early Origins of the Foull family
The surname Foull was first found in Lancashire
where they held a family seat
from very early times.
Early History of the Foull family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Foull research.Another 223 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 127 and 1273 are included under the topic Early Foull History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Foull Spelling Variations
in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Foull have been found, including Foulds, Faulds, Fowlds, Foulls, Faulls, Fowldes and many more.
Early Notables of the Foull family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Foull Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Foull family to the New World and Oceana
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England
. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England
, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Foull, or a variant listed above: Joseph Foulds purchased land in Georgia in 1735; Albion, Alexander, Henry, James, and William Foulds settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1834 and 1866..