Of all the Anglo-Saxon
names to come from Britain, Foulde is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in the region beside an enclosed pen for animals. In particular the surname Foulde can be in Bolton in the county of Lancashire
. The surname Foulde may also be an occupational
name for someone who looked after sheep.
Early Origins of the Foulde family
The surname Foulde was first found in Lancashire
where they held a family seat
from very early times.
Early History of the Foulde family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Foulde research.Another 223 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 127 and 1273 are included under the topic Early Foulde History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Foulde Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred
years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Foulde has been spelled many different ways, including Foulds, Faulds, Fowlds, Foulls, Faulls, Fowldes and many more.
Early Notables of the Foulde family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Foulde Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Foulde family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Fouldes to arrive in North America: Joseph Foulds purchased land in Georgia in 1735; Albion, Alexander, Henry, James, and William Foulds settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1834 and 1866..