Foskett History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Foskett is an old Anglo-Saxon name. It comes from when a family lived in Foscott, Berkshire, or Forscote, Somerset, or Foxcote, Gloucestershire, or Foxcott, in Hampshire. The name means "cottage where there are a lot of foxes."
Early Origins of the Foskett family
The surname Foskett was first found in Buckinghamshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Foskett family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Foskett research. Another 54 words (4 lines of text) covering the year 1273 is included under the topic Early Foskett History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Foskett Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Foskett were recorded, including Foskett, Foscote, Foscott, Foxcote, Foxcott and many more.
Early Notables of the Foskett family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Foskett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Foskett migration to the United States +
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Foskett family emigrate to North America:
Foskett Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Elizabeth and Symon Foskett who settled in Virginia in 1653
- Elizabeth Foskett, who arrived in Virginia in 1653 
- Symon Foskett, who landed in Virginia in 1653 
Contemporary Notables of the name Foskett (post 1700) +
- Jeffrey Foskett, American power-pop singer and songwriter
- Russell Foskett, Australian fighter pilot and flying ace in the Royal Australian Air Force, during World War II, credited with 6½ aerial victories
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)