Fogo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Fogo family
The surname Fogo was first found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D. One of the first on record was Adam Foghou who witnessed a charter for the Monks of Melrose on his land at Lammermuir in 1166.
Important Dates for the Fogo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fogo research. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1425, 1438, 1553, and 1609 are included under the topic Early Fogo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fogo Spelling Variations
Although the name, Fogo, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Foggowe, Foggow, Foggoe, Fogoe, Fogo, Foggo and others.
Early Notables of the Fogo family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Fogo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fogo migration to the United States
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Fogo family name Fogo, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Fogo Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- David Fogo, who settled in Barbados in 1679
Fogo migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fogo Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. David Fogo U.E. who settled in St. Andrews, New Brunswick c. 1784 
- Mr. Davis Fogo U.E., "David" who settled in New Brunswick c. 1784 member of the Penobscot Association 
Contemporary Notables of the name Fogo (post 1700)
- W. M. Fogo, American politician, Presidential Elector for Wisconsin, 1884 
- Donald Peter Fogo, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 144th District, 1992 
You May Also Like
- ^ Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html