Fitler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Fitler family
The surname Fitler was first found in Warwickshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Important Dates for the Fitler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fitler research. Another 146 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1195, 1455, 1487, 1628 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Fitler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fitler Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Fitler are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. Scribes and monks in the Middle Ages spelled names they sounded, so it is common to find several variations that refer to a single person. The variations of the name Fitler include: Fitter, Fitler, Fiter and others.
Early Notables of the Fitler family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Fitler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fitler migration to the United States
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Fitler or a variant listed above:
Fitler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Philip Fitler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Contemporary Notables of the name Fitler (post 1700)
- Edwin Henry Fitler (1825-1896), American Republican politician,Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1876;Mayor of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1887-91 
- Edwin Henry Fitler (1825-1896), Pennsylvania manufacturer and politician
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 24) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html