on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Spratt family come from? What is the English Spratt family crest and coat of arms? When did the Spratt family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Spratt family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Spratt, Spratte, Sprat, Sprett, Spret, Sprott and others.
First found in Dorset where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Spratt research. Another 229 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1639, 1765, 1600, 1987, 1635, 1713, 1684, 1713 and are included under the topic Early Spratt History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 113 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Spratt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Spratt family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 101 words(7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Spratt Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Spratt settled in Virginia in 1635
- Mary Spratt settled in New England in 1635
- Tho Spratt, aged 23, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Charles Spratt, who arrived in Virginia in 1651
- John Spratt, who arrived in Maryland in 1660
Spratt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thos Spratt, aged 50, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- William Spratt, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Hugh Spratt, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- James Spratt, aged 20, arrived in New York in 1812
- Andrew Spratt, who landed in New York, NY in 1815
Spratt Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Samuel Spratt settled in Placentia, Newfoundland in 1747
- Jas Spratt, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1749
Spratt Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Spratt, a stonemason, arrived in Van Diemenís Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
- Charles Spratt arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairlee" in 1840
- John Spratt, aged 26, a blacksmith, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Olivia"
- William Spratt, aged 44, a blacksmith, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Henry Moore"
- Thomas Spratt, aged 18, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Henry Moore"
Spratt Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- H. T. Spratt arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Surge" in 1855
- S. Spratt arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ulcoats" in 1864
- James Spratt, aged 30, a sailmaker, arrived in Bluff, New Zealand aboard the ship "Adamant" in 1875
- Maria Spratt, aged 30, arrived in Bluff, New Zealand aboard the ship "Adamant" in 1875
- Elizabeth Spratt, aged 9, arrived in Bluff, New Zealand aboard the ship "Adamant" in 1875
- John McKee Spratt Jr. (b. 1942), American politician, Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives
- James Spratt (d. 1880), American electrician and lightning rod salesman from Cincinnati, Ohio who was the first person to manufacture dog biscuits, founder of Spratt's in London, England c. 1860
- Henry Lee Spratt (1888-1969), American Major League Baseball player
- George A. Spratt (1870-1934), American inventor and early aircraft designer
- Thomas Abel Brimage Spratt (1811-1888), English vice-admiral, hydrographer and geologist, best known for his "Spratt's Map" used by archaeologists and contributed to the discovery of Troy
- Isaac Spratt (1799-1876), English toy dealer in London who wrote pamphlets and rule books about croquet and badminton
- Walter Spratt (b. 1892), English footballer
- Jimmy Spratt, contemporary Unionist politician from Northern Ireland
- John M Spratt, American lawyer and director of the Bank of York and 1st Federal Savings & Loan, South Carolina
- Jonathan Spratt (b. 1986), Welsh international rugby union player
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
The Spratt Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Spratt Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 November 2014 at 13:46.
on orders of $85 or more