100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The McMenamin surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic "Mac Meanman," a patronymic
surname, created from the personal (first) name Meanma, which means "spirited."
The surname McMenamin was first found in Tirconnell (Irish: Tír Chonaill) present day Donegal
, located in Northwestn Ireland
in the province of Ulster
, where they held a family seat
as Chiefs in that territory. Irish history, after the Norman Conquest
, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow
in 1172. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Mayo and in Donegal
at Letterkenny and Ballybofey. Still later they branched to Tyrone
at Omagh Union.
Spelling variations of this family name include: McNemanin, McManamon, McMenamy, McManaway, McManamin, McManamy, McMenamen, McMenemen, McMenimin and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McMenamin research. Another 214 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McMenamin History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early McMenamin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McMenamin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James McMenamin, who settled in Philadelphia in 1838
- Daniel McMenamin, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1850
- David McMenamin, who came to Philadelphia in 1853
- Bridget McMenamin, who came to Philadelphia in 1861
- Hannah McMenamin, aged 20, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1864
McMenamin Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Ann McMenamin, age 4, who came to Saint John, NB in 1847
- Fanny McMenamin, who arrived in Saint John, NB in 1852
- Henry McMenamin, who arrived in Saint John, NB in 1854
- Brigadier General Joseph J. McMenamin, American general officer in the United States Marine Corps
- Brian McMenamin (b. 1957), American businessperson and philanthropist, co-founder of the McMenamins restaurant and brewpub chain in 1983
- Mark A. S. McMenamin, American professor of geology at Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, Massachusetts
- Ciarán McMenamin (b. 1975), Irish actor, best known for playing Matt Anderson on the science fiction series Primeval
- Professor Paul Gerard McMenamin (b. 1956), Australian academic and researcher
- James Hugh McMenamin (1910-2000), Australian cricket umpire from Paddington, New South Wales
- Ryan "Ricey" McMenamin, Canadian-born, Irish Gaelic footballer
- Chris McMenamin (b. 1989), Scottish footballer
- Colin McMenamin (b. 1981), Scottish professional footballer
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
The McMenamin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McMenamin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 April 2016 at 15:05.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!