on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Hames family come from? What is the English Hames family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hames family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hames family history?The ancestors of the Hames surname lived among the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. The name comes from when they lived in Cumberland, where their name is derived from Hames Hall.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Hames include Hames, Haymes and others.
First found in Cumberland where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hames research. Another 111 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hames History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hames Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Hames Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Hames settled in Virginia in 1623
- William Hames, who landed in Virginia in 1623
- Tho Hames, aged 19, arrived in Barbados in 1634
- Richard and Thomas Hames settled in Barbados in 1634
- Clement Hames settled in St. Christopher in 1635
Hames Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Hames, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1824
- J Hames, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Michael Hames, who landed in Iowa in 1883
- Mat Hames (b. 1971), American independent filmmaker
- Robert "Bob" Earl Hames (1920-1998), American jazz guitarist, rated one of the top ten guitarist in the US by Down Beat magazine
- H. T. Hames, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Carolina, 1936
- Greg Hames (b. 1980), English cricketer
- Ashley Martyn Hames (b. 1970), English television presenter, director and writer
- Dr Kim Desmond Hames MBBS JP MLA (b. 1953), Western Australian politician, Minister for Health; Tourism (2010-)
- Jagan Hames (b. 1975), Australian gold medalist decathlete at the 1998 Commonwealth Games
- Dr. J Danelle Hames, of the Department of Medical Oncology at the Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute
- Michael Hames, Canadian landscape artist and sculptor
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
The Hames Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hames Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 November 2015 at 10:22.
on orders of $85 or more