on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The origins of the Farnsworth name come from when the Anglo-Saxon
tribes ruled over Britain. The name Farnsworth was originally derived from a family having lived at Farnworth in the county of Lancashire
The surname Farnsworth was first found in Lancashire
at Farnworth, a small hamlet within about two miles of Bolton. Now part of Greater Manchester, Farnworth dates back to 1185 when it was first listed as Farnewurd. Literally the place name means "enclosure where ferns grow," from the Old English words "fearn" + "worth." CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
Another reference states: "This place probably derives its name from the AngloSaxon word Fearn; the fern plant formerly overran the land, and still grows abundantly in the neighbourhood. " CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Other spelling variants for the hamlet in these early years included Farneworth and Farnewrth in 1278; and Ffornword in 1282. There is another Farnworth in Cheshire
in the Borough of Halton, and this latter town was also influential in the family's history as Leising de Farnewurd was listed there in the Pipe Rolls
of 1185. CITATION[CLOSE]
Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Farnsworth include Fanworth, Farnworth, Farnworthy, Farnsworth, Farnesworth and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Farnsworth research. Another 141 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1650 and 1666 are included under the topic Early Farnsworth History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Another 16 words (1 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Farnsworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Farnsworth Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas and Susannah Farnsworth settled in New Jersey with their two children and servants in 1677
- Thomas Farnsworth, who arrived in New Jersey in 1677
Farnsworth Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Farnsworth settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1764
- Lydia Farnsworth settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1766
- Mary Farnsworth settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1767
Farnsworth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Farnsworth, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1822
- James Farnsworth settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1844
- C Farnsworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- W D Farnsworth, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- W. O. Farnsworth settled in San Francisco, California in 1853
Farnsworth Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- D. Farnsworth, aged 81, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Lotta P. Farnsworth, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Frederick Farnsworth, aged 26, who arrived in America from Liverpool, in 1904
- Myron Farnsworth, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1905
- George Farnsworth, aged 35, who arrived in America, in 1906
Farnsworth Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Samuel H Farnsworth, who landed in Canada in 1836
Farnsworth Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Arthur Farnsworth, aged 31, who arrived in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, in 1914
- Richard W. Farnsworth (1920-2000), American actor and stuntman
- Kyle Lynn Farnsworth (b. 1976), American Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- Elon John Farnsworth (1837-1863), Union Army cavalry general in the American Civil War, killed at the Battle of Gettysburg
- E. Allan Farnsworth (1928-2005), American renowned legal scholars on contracts
- Charles S. Farnsworth (1862-1955), American general in World War I, Chief of Infantry
- Elon Farnsworth (1799-1877), American Democrat politician, Member Michigan Territorial Council 1st District, 1834-35; Chancellor of Michigan, 1835-43, 1846-47; Candidate for Governor of Michigan, 1839
- Everette C. Farnsworth (1920-1995), American politician, Mayor of Fullerton, California, 1964-66
- Floyd Forney Farnsworth (1869-1946), American Republican politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Upshur County, 1913-14
- Frederick Farnsworth (1842-1914), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Connecticut, 1896 (alternate), 1900
- Frederick B. Farnsworth, American politician, Mayor of New Haven, Connecticut, 1897
- Hibbs-Farnsworth and Related Families by Robert Glen Nye.
- Farnsworth Memoria II: 2nd Edition of the Farnsworth Memorial Published in 1897 by Moses Franklin Farnsworth by Moses Franklin Farnsworth.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
The Farnsworth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Farnsworth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 July 2016 at 05:53.
on orders of $85 or more