on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Farnsworth family come from? What is the English Farnsworth family crest and coat of arms? When did the Farnsworth family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Farnsworth family history?The origins of the Farnsworth name come from when the Anglo-Saxon tribes ruled over Britain. The name Farnsworth was originally derived from a family having lived at Farnworth in the county of Lancashire.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Farnsworth include Fanworth, Farnworth, Farnworthy, Farnsworth, Farnesworth and many more.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times. Conjecturally they were Lords of the manor of Farnworth, a small hamlet within about two miles of Bolton in that shire. At the time of the taking of the Domesday Book in 1086 A.D. it was designated as the King's land.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Farnsworth research. Another 141 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1650 and 1666 are included under the topic Early Farnsworth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Farnsworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Farnsworth Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas and Susannah Farnsworth settled in New Jersey with their two children and servants in 1677
- Thomas Farnsworth, who arrived in New Jersey in 1677
Farnsworth Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Farnsworth settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1764
- Lydia Farnsworth settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1766
- Mary Farnsworth settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1767
Farnsworth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Farnsworth, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1822
- James Farnsworth settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1844
- C Farnsworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- W D Farnsworth, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- W. O. Farnsworth settled in San Francisco, California in 1853
Farnsworth Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- D. Farnsworth, aged 81, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Lotta P. Farnsworth, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Frederick Farnsworth, aged 26, who arrived in America from Liverpool, in 1904
- Myron Farnsworth, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1905
- George Farnsworth, aged 35, who arrived in America, in 1906
Farnsworth Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Samuel H Farnsworth, who landed in Canada in 1836
Farnsworth Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Arthur Farnsworth, aged 31, who arrived in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, in 1914
- Elizabeth Farnsworth, American correspondent with PBS
- Philo Taylor Farnsworth (1906-1971), American inventor, best known for as the inventor and patent holder of a working electronic television system which later became the cathode ray tube
- Charles S. Farnsworth (1862-1955), American general in World War I, Chief of Infantry
- E. Allan Farnsworth (1928-2005), American renowned legal scholars on contracts
- Elon John Farnsworth (1837-1863), Union Army cavalry general in the American Civil War, killed at the Battle of Gettysburg
- Kyle Lynn Farnsworth (b. 1976), American Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- Richard W. Farnsworth (1920-2000), American actor and stuntman
- John Windsor Farnsworth, Chairman, East Midlands Planning Board, Nottingham, England
- Bill Farnsworth, Australian rugby league footballer
- Dr. Dean Farnsworth, creator of the Farnsworth Lantern Test, for color blindness
- Hibbs-Farnsworth and Related Families by Robert Glen Nye.
- Farnsworth Memoria II: 2nd Edition of the Farnsworth Memorial Published in 1897 by Moses Franklin Farnsworth by Moses Franklin Farnsworth.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Farnsworth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Farnsworth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2014 at 08:37.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more