Ethridge History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Anglo-Saxon name Ethridge comes from the name Aldrich. The surname Ethridge originally derived from the Old English word aeoelric, which later became the name Aldrich.
Early Origins of the Ethridge family
The surname Ethridge was first found in Berkshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Ethridge family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ethridge research. Another 66 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1588, 1636, 1692, 1664, 1668 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Ethridge History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ethridge Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Ethridge has appeared include Etheridge, Etheredge, Etherege, Etherige, Ettridge, Etridge, Attridge and many more.
Early Notables of the Ethridge family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Sir James Etheridge; George Etherege or Ethrygg (in Latin Edrycus) ( fl. 1588), an English classical scholar and physician; and Sir George Etherege (c.1636-1692), born in Maidenhead, Berkshire...
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ethridge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ethridge migration to the United States
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Ethridge arrived in North America very early:
Typical Ethridge Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Ethridge Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Ethridge, who landed in Virginia in 1677 
Ethridge Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Geo. Ethridge, aged 26, who immigrated to the United States from London, in 1893
Ethridge Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Ethridge, aged 34, who immigrated to the United States from Liverpool, in 1904
- Sarah Jane Ethridge, aged 32, who landed in America from Liverpool, in 1904
- Mrs. J. M Ethridge, aged 49, who landed in America, in 1910
- Dorothy Ethridge, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1910
- Minnie J Ethridge, aged 51, who immigrated to America, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Ethridge migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ethridge Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- George Ethridge, aged 23, who immigrated to Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, in 1917
Contemporary Notables of the name Ethridge (post 1700)
- Mark Ethridge (b. 1949), American novelist, screenwriter, and the president of Carolina Parenting, Inc
- Roe Ethridge (b. 1969), American postmodernist commercial and art photographer
- Kamie Ethridge (b. 1964), American four-time gold medalist basketball player and current basketball coach, inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002
- Benjamin Kane Ethridge (b. 1977), American author, awarded the Bram Stoker Award Superior Achievement in First Novel in 2010
- John Christopher "Chris" Ethridge (b. 1947), American country rock bass guitarist
- Joe Ethridge, former American player in the National Football League
- Kamie Ethridge (b. 1964), former American basketball player and current basketball coach
- Thomas R. Ethridge, American politician, U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Mississippi, 1954-61 
- Linda Ethridge, American politician, Mayor of Waco, Texas, 2000-04 
- John B. Ethridge, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Eastford, 1920, 1926 
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 16) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html