100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
name Ethridge comes from the name Aldrich. The surname Ethridge originally derived from the Old English word aeoelric
, which later became the name Aldrich
The surname Ethridge was first found in Berkshire, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Ethridge has appeared include Etheridge, Etheredge, Etherege, Etherige, Ettridge, Etridge, Attridge and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ethridge research. Another 131 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1588, 1636, 1692, 1664, 1668 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Ethridge History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 119 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ethridge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England
was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England
at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Ethridge arrived in North America very early:
Ethridge Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Ethridge, who landed in Virginia in 1677
Ethridge Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Geo. Ethridge, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1893
Ethridge Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Ethridge, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States from Liverpool, in 1904
- Sarah Jane Ethridge, aged 32, who landed in America from Liverpool, in 1904
- Mrs. J. M Ethridge, aged 49, who landed in America, in 1910
- Dorothy Ethridge, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1910
- Minnie J Ethridge, aged 51, who emigrated to America, in 1912
Ethridge Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- George Ethridge, aged 23, who emigrated to Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, in 1917
- Mark Ethridge (b. 1949), American novelist, screenwriter, and the president of Carolina Parenting, Inc
- Roe Ethridge (b. 1969), American postmodernist commercial and art photographer
- Kamie Ethridge (b. 1964), American four-time gold medalist basketball player and current basketball coach, inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002
- Benjamin Kane Ethridge (b. 1977), American author, awarded the Bram Stoker Award Superior Achievement in First Novel in 2010
- John Christopher "Chris" Ethridge (b. 1947), American country rock bass guitarist
- Joe Ethridge, former American player in the National Football League
- Kamie Ethridge (b. 1964), former American basketball player and current basketball coach
- Thomas R. Ethridge, American politician, U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Mississippi, 1954-61
- Linda Ethridge, American politician, Mayor of Waco, Texas, 2000-04
- John B. Ethridge, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Eastford, 1920, 1926
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Ethridge Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ethridge Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 April 2016 at 16:53.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!