The Errol family name was first used by descendants of the Pictish people of ancient Scotland
. It is a name for someone who lived in the lands of Errol (Arroll) in Perthshire.
Early Origins of the Errol family
The surname Errol was first found in Perthshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland
, where they held a family seat
in the parish of Errol from whence they get their name. The family is not directly related to the Lords of Errol, who are in fact a part of the Scottish Hay clan.
Early History of the Errol family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Errol research.Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1556, 1590, 1619, 1646 and 1913 are included under the topic Early Errol History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Errol Spelling Variations
Scribes in the Middle Ages did not have access to a set of spelling rules. They spelled according to sound, the result was a great number of spelling variations
. In various documents, Errol has been spelled Arroll, Arrol, Errol, Erroll, Arrell, Arrel, Errel, Errell, Arrall, Arral, Errall, Erral, Arrill, Arril, Errill and many more.
Early Notables of the Errol family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Errol Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Errol family to the New World and Oceana
The cruelties suffered under the new government forced many to leave their ancient homeland for the freedom of the North American colonies. Those who arrived safely found land, freedom, and opportunity for the taking. These hardy settlers gave their strength and perseverance to the young nations that would become the United States and Canada. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the name Errol:
Errol Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bert Errol, aged 30, who arrived in America from London, England, in 1913
- Ray Errol, aged 28, who arrived in America from London, England, in 1913
- Bertha Stella Errol, aged 33, who arrived in America from London, England, in 1919
- Leon Errol, aged 38, who arrived in America from London, England, in 1919
- Mabel B. Errol, aged 33, who arrived in America from London, England, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Errol (post 1700)
- Leon Errol (1881-1951), born Leonce Errol Sims, an Australian-born American comedian and actor