Eppley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Eppley is an old Anglo-Saxon name. It comes from when a family lived in one of the places called Apperley in Somerset, Gloucestershire, and Northumberland. There is also an Apperley Bridge in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
Early Origins of the Eppley family
The surname Eppley was first found in the midlands English county of Staffordshire, where they held a family seat for many centuries, a family of great antiquity.
Early History of the Eppley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Eppley research. Another 70 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1952 is included under the topic Early Eppley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Eppley Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Eppley were recorded, including Appaleigh, Apperley, Apperly, Applegh, Appeley, Appley, Apply, Epperley, Epperleigh, Eppley and many more.
Early Notables of the Eppley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Eppley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Eppley migration to the United States +
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Eppley family emigrate to North America:
Eppley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- J.K. Eppley, aged 35, who settled in America, in 1905
- M. J. Eppley, who landed in America, in 1908
- C. Dean Eppley, aged 26, who immigrated to America, in 1908
- Maurice J. Eppley, who immigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Morris Eppley, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Eppley (post 1700) +
- Geary Francis "Swede" Eppley (1895-1978), American university administrator, professor and agronomist
- Eugene C. "Gene" Eppley (1884-1958), American hotel magnate in Omaha, Nebraska, eponym of Eppley Airfield and founder of the Eugene C. Eppley Foundation
- Cody Allen Eppley (b. 1985), American Major League Baseball pitcher for the New York Yankees
- Marion Jay Eppley (b. 1907), prominent American business executive in Louisiana, for such companies as Texaco and Domar
- John L. Eppley, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, 1923-32 (acting, 1923-24)
Related Stories +