Ellyson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Ellyson family
The surname Ellyson was first found in Durham where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Ellyson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ellyson research. Another 143 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1170, 1296, 1590, 1614, 1678, 1647, 1660, 1646, 1615, 1671, 1658, 1659 and are included under the topic Early Ellyson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ellyson Spelling Variations
The name, Ellyson, occurred in many references, and from time to time, it was spelt Ellison, Ellerson, Elleson, Elyson, Elison and many more.
Early Notables of the Ellyson family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Robert Ellison (1614-1678), an English politician who sat in the House of Commons at various times between 1647 and...
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ellyson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ellyson family to Ireland
Some of the Ellyson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 59 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ellyson migration to the United States +
The New World beckoned settlers from the Scottish-English borders. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Among the early settlers bearing the Ellyson surname who came to North America were:
Ellyson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Ellyson, who landed in Maryland in 1643 
- Robert Ellyson, who landed in Virginia in 1653 
- John Ellyson, who arrived in Virginia in 1664 
Contemporary Notables of the name Ellyson (post 1700) +
- Edgar P. Ellyson (1869-1954), American minister, theologian, and general superintendent in the Church of the Nazarene
- Erica Ellyson (b. 1984), American model and actress
- Theodore Gordon Ellyson USN (1885-1928), nicknamed "Spuds", the first United States Navy officer designated as an aviator ("Naval Aviator No. 1"), eponym of the USS Ellyson (DD-454/DMS-19), a Gleaves-class destroyer
- James Taylor Ellyson (1847-1919), American politician, 20th Lieutenant Governor of Virginia (1906-1918)
- James Taylor Ellyson (1847-1919), American Democrat politician, Member of Virginia State Senate, 1885-88; Mayor of Richmond, Virginia, 1888-94; Virginia Democratic State Chair, 1891-1916; Lieutenant Governor of Virginia, 1906-16 
- Henry Keeling Ellyson (1823-1890), American politician, Mayor of Richmond, Virginia, 1870-71 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html