Ellner History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ellner family
The surname Ellner was first found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1273 when Hugh, son of Elyenor held estates in that shire.
Early History of the Ellner family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ellner research. Another 126 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1280, 1340, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Ellner History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ellner Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Ellner has undergone many spelling variations, including Ellenor, Eleaner, Eleanor, Ellnor, Elnor, Ellenor, Ellener, Elliner, Eliner, Ellnor and many more.
Early Notables of the Ellner family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ellner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ellner migration to the United States +
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Ellner were among those contributors:
Ellner Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Theobald, II Ellner, who landed in America in 1854 
Contemporary Notables of the name Ellner (post 1700) +
- Brian Ellner, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate in primary for borough President of Manhattan, New York, 2005 
- David Romero Ellner (d. 2020), Honduran journalist, lawyer and politician
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html