100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Ellison, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Ellison, Ellerson, Elleson, Elyson, Elison and many more.
First found in Durham where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ellison research. Another 285 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1170, 1296, 1590, 1614, 1678, 1647, 1660, 1646, 1615, 1671, 1658, 1659 and are included under the topic Early Ellison History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 95 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ellison Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ellison family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned as many of the settlers in Ireland, known as the Scotch/Irish, became disenchanted. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Amongst the early settlers who could be considered kinsmen of the Ellison family, or who bore a variation of the surname Ellison were
Ellison Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John and Ellin Ellison, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- George Ellison who settled in Virginia in 1624
- Ellin Ellison, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625
- William Ellison, who landed in Virginia in 1624
- Jonath Ellison, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Ellison Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Ellison, who arrived in Virginia in 1701-1702
- Joseph Ellison, who arrived in Long Island in 1720
- A Ellison, who arrived in New England in 1771
- Abraham Ellison, who landed in New England in 1772
- Abraham Ellison, who arrived in New England in 1772
Ellison Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Tylee Ellison, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1824
- Christopher Ellison, who landed in New York in 1832
- B Ellison, aged 40, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1840
- Henry, Andrew, George, James, John, Martha Ellison all arrived in Philadelphia between 1800 and 1850
- C Ellison, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1855
Ellison Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Geo. Ludowick Ellison, who came to Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mr. Abraham Ellison U.E. who settled in Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he was part of the Cape Ann Association
- Mr. Jacob Ellison U.E. who settled in Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he was part of the Cape Ann Association
- Mr. Joseph Ellison U.E. who settled in St. Andrews, New Brunswick c. 1784
- Mr. Joseph Ellison U.E. who settled in Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he was part of the Cape Ann Association
Ellison Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- W. Ellison arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "William Watson" in 1849
- Daniel Ellison, aged 41, a carpenter, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "James Fernie"
- James Ellison, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Victoria Regia"
- William Ellison, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Agincourt"
Ellison Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Ellison landed in East Coast, New Zealand in 1839
- Elizabeth Ellison arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Empress" in 1865
- Lawrence Joseph "Larry" Ellison (b. 1944), American business magnate, co-founder and chief executive officer of Oracle Corporation
- William Henry Ellison (b. 1945), former American NFL football running back
- Brady Ellison (b. 1988), American Olympic archer
- Harlan Ellison (b. 1934), American writer of speculative fiction with more awards for imaginative literature than any other living author
- Brian Durst Ellison, American politician, Representative from Michigan 5th District, 1996, 1998, 2000
- Arthur Ellison, American politician, Dry Candidate for Delegate to New York convention to ratify 21st amendment, 1933
- Andrew Ellison (1812-1860), American Democrat politician, Member of Ohio State House of Representatives, 1846; U.S. Representative from Ohio 6th District, 1853-55
- A. E. Ellison, American politician, Mayor of Lehi, Utah, 1981-82; Defeated, 1985
- Brooke Ellison, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Senate 2nd District, 2006
- C. A. Ellison, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Wyoming County, 1954
- Black Masters: A Free Family of Color in the Old South by Michael P. Johnson.
- Arthur Ellison of Adams County, Ohio and Some of His Descendants and Relatives by Floyd Vernon Ellison.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Ellison Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ellison Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 April 2016 at 20:50.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!