on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Ellison family come from? What is the English Ellison family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ellison family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ellison family history?
The name Ellison, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Ellison, Ellerson, Elleson, Elyson, Elison and many more.
First found in Durham where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ellison research. Another 285 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1170, 1296, 1590, 1614, 1678, 1647, 1660, 1646, 1615, 1671, 1658, 1659 and are included under the topic Early Ellison History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 95 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ellison Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ellison family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 105 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned as many of the settlers in Ireland, known as the Scotch/Irish, became disenchanted. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Amongst the early settlers who could be considered kinsmen of the Ellison family, or who bore a variation of the surname Ellison were
Ellison Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John and Ellin Ellison, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- George Ellison who settled in Virginia in 1624
- Ellin Ellison, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625
- William Ellison, who landed in Virginia in 1624
- Jonath Ellison, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Ellison Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Ellison, who arrived in Virginia in 1701-1702
- Joseph Ellison, who arrived in Long Island in 1720
- A Ellison, who arrived in New England in 1771
- Abraham Ellison, who landed in New England in 1772
- Abraham Ellison, who arrived in New England in 1772
Ellison Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Tylee Ellison, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1824
- Christopher Ellison, who landed in New York in 1832
- B Ellison, aged 40, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1840
- Henry, Andrew, George, James, John, Martha Ellison all arrived in Philadelphia between 1800 and 1850
- C Ellison, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1855
Ellison Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Geo. Ludowick Ellison, who came to Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mr. Abraham Ellison U.E. who settled in Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he was part of the Cape Ann Association
- Mr. Jacob Ellison U.E. who settled in Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he was part of the Cape Ann Association
- Mr. Joseph Ellison U.E. who settled in St. Andrews, New Brunswick c. 1784
- Mr. Joseph Ellison U.E. who settled in Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he was part of the Cape Ann Association
Ellison Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- W. Ellison arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "William Watson" in 1849
- Daniel Ellison, aged 41, a carpenter, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "James Fernie"
- James Ellison, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Victoria Regia"
- William Ellison, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Agincourt"
Ellison Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Ellison landed in East Coast, New Zealand in 1839
- Elizabeth Ellison arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Empress" in 1865
- Ralph Waldo Ellison (1914-1994), American writer, best known for the "Invisible Man" and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- James Ellison (1910-1993), American actor
- Keith Maurice Ellison (b. 1963), American lawyer and politician
- Harlan Ellison (b. 1934), American writer of speculative fiction with more awards for imaginative literature than any other living author
- Brady Ellison (b. 1988), American Olympic archer
- William Henry Ellison (b. 1945), former American NFL football running back
- Lawrence Joseph "Larry" Ellison (b. 1944), American business magnate, co-founder and chief executive officer of Oracle Corporation
- Eileen Ellison (1910-1967), English Grand Prix racer
- Jennifer Ellison (b. 1983), English actress, glamour model, television personality, dancer and singer
- Reverend Frederick William Archdall Ellison (1864-1936), Irish clergyman, Hebrew scholar, organist, and amateur telescope maker
- Black Masters: A Free Family of Color in the Old South by Michael P. Johnson.
- Arthur Ellison of Adams County, Ohio and Some of His Descendants and Relatives by Floyd Vernon Ellison.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Ellison Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ellison Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 February 2015 at 10:14.
on orders of $85 or more