on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, Scottish
Where did the Dutch Dykes family come from? What is the Dutch Dykes family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dykes family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dykes family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dicus, Dick, Diks, Dickek, Dickstein, Dicksthein, Dykenstein, Dyks and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Amsterdam, an ancient 13th century town held by the Lords of Amstel. Giesebrecht II built a castle there. Geisbrecht III built the dam to keep out the sea. It is first mentioned in charters of 1275 when Floris IV, the count of Holland granted its charter. It became a city of great mercantile wealth. It hold great treasures of art. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dykes research. Another 252 words(18 lines of text) covering the year 1532 is included under the topic Early Dykes History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dykes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dykes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Abigail Dykes, who came to Boston in 1637
- Thomas Dykes, who landed in Maryland in 1658
- Andrew Dykes, who settled in America in 1684
Dykes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Dykes, who came to America in 1833
- John Dykes, aged 14, arrived in America in 1833
- Francis Dykes, who settled in New York in 1840
- E. F. M. Dykes, who arrived in San Francisco in 1852
- Jas Wilson Dykes, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1874
Dykes Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Dykes, a shoemaker, arrived in Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
- Samuel Dykes, aged 43, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Nugget"
Dykes Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Richard Dykes, aged 28, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Steinwarder" in 1864
- William Taylor "Spike" Dykes (b. 1938), American coach of the Texas Tech Red Raiders football team (1987-1999), inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 2008
- Hart Lee Dykes (b. 1966), American former professional football wide receiver who played for the New England Patriots (1989-1990)
- Hugh John Maxwell Dykes (b. 1939), Baron Dykes, British politician, Foreign Affairs Spokesperson for the Liberal Democrats
- John Bacchus Dykes, English clergyman and hymnist
- Loren Dykes (b. 1988), Welsh footballer who plays for the Welsh national team (2007-)
- Mr. Kenneth Dykes, British Boy, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking
- Mr. John Dykes, British Engine Room Stoker, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking
- The Dykes Line of East Tennessee by John H. Dykes Jr..
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Bayerisch Stammenbuch von den alten abgestorbenen Fuerten. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
The Dykes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dykes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:22.
on orders of $85 or more