100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch, Scottish
The surname Dykes was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Amsterdam, an ancient 13th century town held by the Lords of Amstel. Giesebrecht II built a castle there. Geisbrecht III built the dam to keep out the sea. It is first mentioned in charters of 1275 when Floris IV, the count of Holland granted its charter. It became a city of great mercantile wealth. It hold great treasures of art. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dicus, Dick, Diks, Dickek, Dickstein, Dicksthein, Dykenstein, Dyks and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dykes research. Another 252 words (18 lines of text) covering the year 1532 is included under the topic Early Dykes History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dykes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dykes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Abigail Dykes, who came to Boston in 1637
- Thomas Dykes, who landed in Maryland in 1658
- Andrew Dykes, who settled in America in 1684
Dykes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Dykes, who came to America in 1833
- John Dykes, aged 14, arrived in America in 1833
- Francis Dykes, who settled in New York in 1840
- E. F. M. Dykes, who arrived in San Francisco in 1852
- Jas Wilson Dykes, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1874
Dykes Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Dykes, a shoemaker, arrived in Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
- Samuel Dykes, aged 43, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Nugget"
Dykes Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Richard Dykes, aged 28, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Steinwarder" in 1864
- W. W. Dykes, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Georgia, 1916
- Mary H. Dykes, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Georgia, 2008
- Jimmy Dykes, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Missouri 6th District, 2000
- James M. Dykes, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Georgia, 1948, 1952; Member of Georgia State Senate, 1950
- E. B. Dykes, American politician, Member of Georgia State House of Representatives from Dooly County, 1923-24
- A. C. Dykes, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Louisiana, 1940
- Hart Lee Dykes (b. 1966), American former professional football wide receiver who played for the New England Patriots (1989-1990)
- William Taylor "Spike" Dykes (b. 1938), American coach of the Texas Tech Red Raiders football team (1987-1999), inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 2008
- Mr. John Dykes, British Engine Room Stoker, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking
- Mr. Kenneth Dykes, British Boy, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking
- The Dykes Line of East Tennessee by John H. Dykes Jr..
- Jameson, John Franklin. Narratives of New Netherland 1609-1664. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1909. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Tapper, Michael Ed. Immigrants to the Middle Colonies A Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from The New York Genealogical Biographical Record. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Dykes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dykes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:22.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!