Duryee History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The people known in ancient Scotland as the Picts were the forefathers of the Duryee family. It is a name for a person who held the office of Dereth.
Early Origins of the Duryee family
The surname Duryee was first found in Fife, where they held a family seat from very early times.
Important Dates for the Duryee family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Duryee research. Another 299 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1260, 1296, 1464, 1519, 1526, 1564, 1555, 1616, 1596 and 1680 are included under the topic Early Duryee History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Duryee Spelling Variations
Although Medieval Scotland lacked a basic set of spelling rules, which meant that scribes recorded names according to their sounds it was not uncommon for the names of a father and son to be recorded differently. As a result, there are many spelling variations of Scottish single names. Duryee has been written Durie, Durray, Doray, Dorie, Durrie and others.
Early Notables of the Duryee family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Duryee Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Duryee family to Ireland
Some of the Duryee family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Duryee family
Thousands of Scots left their home country to travel to Ireland or Australia, or to cross the Atlantic for the North American colonies. The difficult crossing was an enormous hurdle, but those who survived found freedom and opportunity in ample measure. Some Scots even fought for their freedom in the American War of Independence. This century, their ancestors have become aware of the illustrious history of the Scots in North America and at home through Clan societies and other organizations. Passenger and immigration lists show many early and influential immigrants bearing the name Duryee: John Durie who settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1620; Isabel Durie settled in New Jersey in 1686; Jacob Durie settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1738..
Contemporary Notables of the name Duryee (post 1700)
- Jacob Eugene Duryée (1839-1918), Union Army lieutenant colonel during the American Civil War, son of Abram Duryée
- Abram Duryée (1815-1890), Union Army general during the American Civil War
- William B. C. Duryee, American politician, Honorary Consul for Cuba at Fernandina, 1905 
- Samuel Sloan Duryee, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Putnam County, 1932 
- Henry Duryee, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Somerset County, 1836-38 
- George S. Duryee, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Essex County, 1878-79; U.S. Attorney for New Jersey, 1888-90 
- Daniel Duryee, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Queens County, 1785-86 
- Charles C. Duryee, American Democrat politician, Mayor of Schenectady, New York, 1910-11 
- Abraham W. Duryee, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Hudson County, 1864-65 
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html