Duhaime History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Duhaime surname comes from an Old French word "hamel," which meant "homestead." It was likely first used as a name to describe someone who lived at a farm on the outskirts of a main town, or for someone that lived in a small village. 
Early Origins of the Duhaime family
The surname Duhaime was first found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where this distinguished family held a family seat at Désert, Fougeroux, and St.-Etienne.
The name was first found in Normandy with Guillaume in 1066, and again with Richard in 1116. 
They branched to the west at Bottelière in Brittany (French: Bretagne), and to the east to Artois where they held a family seat in Bellenglise, to St.-Rémy in Champagne where they were elevated to the Counts du Hamel. They also branched to Holland at Arnhem and Bois-le-duc. At Désert in Normandy they were elevated to the nobility in 1598. Many of the estates and titles were lost during the French Revolution which started in 1789.
Early History of the Duhaime family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Duhaime research. More information is included under the topic Early Duhaime History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Duhaime Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hamel, Hamell, Hamil, Hamill, Hammel, Hammell, Hammil, Hammill, Hamelin, Hamlin, du Hamel, du Hamell, duHamil, du Hamill, du Hammel, du Hammell, du Hammil and many more.
Early Notables of the Duhaime family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family in this period was Jean-Baptiste (Du Hamel, Duhamel or du Hamel) (1624-1706), a notable French cleric and natural philosopher and the first secretary of the Academie Royale...
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Duhaime Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Duhaime migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Duhaime Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Glaudios Duhaime, aged 42, who immigrated to the United States from Paris, in 1903
- Dr. G. F. Duhaime, aged 45, who landed in America, in 1907
- William Duhaime, aged 36, who settled in America from Leipzig, Germany, in 1922
Contemporary Notables of the name Duhaime (post 1700) +
- Richard DuHaime, American Republican Party politician from New Jersey, father of Mike
- Mike DuHaime (b. 1974), American Republican strategist, managing director at Mercury Public Affairs, LLC
- Éric Duhaime, Canadian journalist and author for the Journal de Montréal, and the National Post
- Greg Duhaime (1953-1992), Canadian three-time bronze medalist middle distance runner
- Yves Duhaime (b. 1939), Canadian politician in Quebec, Cabinet Member and Member of the National Assembly of Quebec
Related Stories +
- ^ Dionne, N.-E., Origine Des Familles Canadiennes-Français. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1969. Print.
- ^ Hozier, Charles D, and Antoine Bachelin-Delforenne. État présent De La Noblesse française (1883-1887): Contenant Le Distionnaire De La Noblesse Contemporaine Et Larmorial général De France, Dapres Les Manuscrits De Ch. D Hozier. Librairie Des Bibliophiles, 1884. Print.