Noble surnames, such as Ducharme, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the French people. The original bearer of the name Ducharme, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Orleans. In France, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate.The Ducharme family originally derived its surname from the place-name Le Charme, a parish in Orleans.
Early Origins of the Ducharme family
The surname Ducharme was first found in Orléanais, where the family was established in Le Charme, a parish in the department of Loiret, in the district of Montarges.
Early History of the Ducharme family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ducharme research.Another 77 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1679 and 1690 are included under the topic Early Ducharme History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ducharme Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Ducharme, Decharme, Ducharne, Ducarme, Ducarne, Charme, Charmes, Charne, Charnes, Carme, Charmet, Charmay, Charmey, Charmoy, Carmoy, Carnoy, Charmil, Charmeil, Charmot, Charman, Charmon, Charmillon, Charmy and many more.
Early Notables of the Ducharme family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ducharme Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ducharme family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ducharme Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Fiacre Ducharme (1623-1677), who was the son of Toussaint Ducharme and of Jacqueline De Roy, who lived in Paris
Ducharme Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alice H. Du Charme, aged 60, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Julie Du Charme, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1910
- Raymond du Charme, aged 21, who settled in America, in 1913
Ducharme Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Fiacre Ducharme, who arrived in Montreal in 1653
- Pierre Ducharme, who arrived in Montreal in 1661
- Catherine Ducharme, who settled in Quebec in 1671
Ducharme Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Jean Ducharme, who married Marie-Jeanne Trotier in Lachine, Quebec in 1723
Contemporary Notables of the name Ducharme (post 1700)
- Réjean Ducharme (1941-2017), Canadian novelist and playwright from Montreal, winner of the 1966 Governor General's Award for Poetry or Drama
- Yves Ducharme (b. 1958), French-Canadian politician from Quebec
- Romulus Ducharme (1886-1976), French-Canadian politician from Quebec
- Raymond Ducharme Morand (1887-1952), Canadian politician from Ontario
- Moira Leiper Ducharme, Canadian politician, first female mayor of Halifax, Nova Scotia (1991 to 1994)
- Jean-Marie Ducharme (1723-1807), French-Canadian fur trader and politician
- Gerry Ducharme (b. 1939), Canadian politician from Manitoba
- Dominique Ducharme (1765-1853), French-Canadian fur trader and militia officer
- Denis Archie Ducharme (b. 1955), Canadian politician from Alberta
- Annette Ducharme, Canadian musician and songwriter
Ducharme Family Crest Products