The prestigious surname Duby comes from the region of Provence, in France. The surname Duby is of local
origin, and is therefore a type of hereditary surname. Local
surnames are derived either from an already existing place-name or from a local feature of the geography.
Early Origins of the Duby family
The surname Duby was first found in Provence where this esteemed family has held a family seat
since ancient times.
Early History of the Duby family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Duby research.Another 142 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Duby History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Duby Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Dube, Dubet, Dubais, Dubé, Dubée, Dubaie, Duber, Dubey, Dubay, Dubbe, Dubbet, Dubbais, Dubbée, Dubbé, Dubbaie, Dubber, Dubbey, Dubbay and many more.
Early Notables of the Duby family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Duby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Duby family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Duby Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jean Louis Duby, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1794 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Duby (post 1700)
- Heather Duby (b. 1974), American singer and songwriter
- Jacques Duby (1922-2012), French stage, film and television actor
- Georges Duby (1919-1996), French historian specializing in the Middle Ages
- Jean Étienne Duby (1798-1885), Swiss clergyman and botanist
- Craig John Duby (b. 1949), Australian politician from Brisbane, Queensland, Opposition Leader of the Australian Capital Territory in 1991
- Caroline Duby Glassman (1922-2013), American attorney and jurist, Associate Justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court (1983-1987), the first woman to serve on the Maine Supreme Judicial Court