Dubin History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The prestigious surname Dubin comes from the region of Provence, in France. The surname Dubin is of local origin, and is therefore a type of hereditary surname. Local surnames are derived either from an already existing place-name or from a local feature of the geography.
Early Origins of the Dubin family
The surname Dubin was first found in Provence where this esteemed family has held a family seat since ancient times.
Originating from the d'Ubaye river region in this province, the family grew and branched to Brittany (French: Bretagne), where members were known as the Dube de la Garenne family, and were noted for their devoted service to the King and for their contributions in their communities. In the middle of the 19th century, members of this family immigrated to the New World, where they flourished and became a notable and large family.
Mathurin Dube, born in 1631, son of Jean and Renée, travelled from Normandy to Canada in the 17th century. He married Marie Campion at Sainte-Famille, Quebec on 3rd September 1670. They had nine children together, 5 daughters and 4 sons. 
Important Dates for the Dubin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dubin research. More information is included under the topic Early Dubin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dubin Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dube, Dubet, Dubais, Dubé, Dubée, Dubaie, Duber, Dubey, Dubay, Dubbe, Dubbet, Dubbais, Dubbée, Dubbé, Dubbaie, Dubber, Dubbey, Dubbay and many more.
Early Notables of the Dubin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dubin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dubin migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dubin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benedict Andrea Dubin, aged 39, who arrived in Missouri in 1840 
Contemporary Notables of the name Dubin (post 1700)
- Gary Dubin (1959-2016), American actor, best known for his role as Punky Lazaar on The Partridge Family (1971 to 1974)
- Glenn Dubin (b. 1957), co-founder and CEO of Highbridge Capital Management
- Louis Myerberg Dubin (b. 1963), New York City real estate developer
- Al Dubin (1891-1945), Swiss-born, American lyricist
- Melvin Dubin, American politician, Representative from New York 13th District, 1968; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1972 
- Ian Dubin, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Iowa, 1996 
- Bernard Dubin, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Queens County 7th District; Elected 1954, 1956 
- Charles Leonard Dubin OC, O.Ont, QC (1921-2008), Canadian lawyer, former Chief Justice of Ontario, best known for leading the Dubin Inquiry
- Ellen Dubin, Canadian actress
- ^ Olivier, Reginald L. Your Ancient Canadian Family Ties. Logan: The Everton Publishers, Inc., P.O. Box 368, 1972. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 13) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html