Dowthwaite History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Anglo-Saxon name Dowthwaite comes from when the family resided in the village of Douthwait, which was located on the border of North Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire.
Early Origins of the Dowthwaite family
The surname Dowthwaite was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Dowthwaite family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dowthwaite research. Another 60 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dowthwaite History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dowthwaite Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Dowthwaite include Douthwaite, Douthert, Douthet, Douthat, Douthit, Douthirt, Douthwrait, Dowthwaite, Dowthert, Dowthet, Dowthirt and many more.
Early Notables of the Dowthwaite family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dowthwaite Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dowthwaite migration to the United States
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Dowthwaite Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Dowthwaite, who arrived in Virginia in 1659 
Dowthwaite Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Abraham Dowthwaite who settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1796 with his brother Robert
Contemporary Notables of the name Dowthwaite (post 1700)
- Miss Dowthwaite, American member of the Hallam Company, which later became the American Company in 1766, the first fully professional theatre company to perform in North America
- Stephen V. Dowthwaite (b. 1956), English perfumer, programmer and writer, founder of PerfumersWorld
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)