Doman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Doman has a rich and ancient history. It is an Anglo-Saxon name that was originally derived from the name Dalman. Another alternative version is that the surname Doman originally derived from the Old English word Doelan which referred to set out in position land or lots. Later a doleman would be responsible for distribution of land or alms as part of the lord and tenant agreement that occurred during the feudal ages.
Early Origins of the Doman family
The surname Doman was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Doman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Doman research. Another 238 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1279, 1280, 1340, 1650, 1587, 1622, 1697 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Doman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Doman Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Doman include Dolman, Dollman, Doleman, Doalman, Dolmen, Dolmin, Dolmane, Dollmin, Dolemin, Dolemen, Dolmun, Doalmen, Doalmin, Doalmun, Dolle, Doman, Dooman and many more.
Early Notables of the Doman family (pre 1700)
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Doman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Doman migration to the United States +
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Doman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johanna Doman (n) settled in Texas in 1854
Doman migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Doman Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Doman, aged 23, who arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Emily" 
- James Doman, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Emily" in 1849 
Contemporary Notables of the name Doman (post 1700) +
- Samuel S. Doman, American politician, Representative from Indiana 2nd District, 1908
- Cathy Doman, American politician, Socialist Workers Candidate for Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1988
- Jim Doman (1949-1992), American professional poker player, winner of two World Series of Poker bracelets
- John Doman (b. 1945), American actor
- Brandon Doman (b. 1976), American NFL football quarterback
- Glidden Doman, founder of Doman Helicopters Inc, best known for his Doman LZ-5 utility helicopter
Related Stories +