Doleman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The earliest origins of the name Doleman date back to the time of the Anglo-Saxons. The name is derived from the name Dalman. Another alternative version is that the surname Doleman originally derived from the Old English word Doelan which referred to set out in position land or lots. Later a doleman would be responsible for distribution of land or alms as part of the lord and tenant agreement that occurred during the feudal ages.
Early Origins of the Doleman family
The surname Doleman was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Doleman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Doleman research. Another 238 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1279, 1280, 1340, 1650, 1587, 1622, 1697 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Doleman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Doleman Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Doleman include Dolman, Dollman, Doleman, Doalman, Dolmen, Dolmin, Dolmane, Dollmin, Dolemin, Dolemen, Dolmun, Doalmen, Doalmin, Doalmun, Dolle, Doman, Dooman and many more.
Early Notables of the Doleman family (pre 1700)
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Doleman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Doleman migration to the United States
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Doleman or a variant listed above:
Doleman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Doleman, who settled in Virginia in 1624
- Thomas Doleman, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625 
Doleman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Rebecca Doleman, who settled in Maryland in 1720
Doleman migration to New Zealand
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Doleman Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Doleman, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Elizabeth Doleman, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Rebecca Doleman, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Mary Ann Doleman, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Sarah Ann Doleman, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Doleman (post 1700)
- Christopher John Doleman (b. 1961), American professional (NFL) football player
- Guy Doleman (1923-1996), New Zealand actor
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)