Gaelic is at the heart of all the Irish surnames that can be found throughout the world today. The original Gaelic form of the name Derron is O Deoradhain, which was later shortened to O Deorain. Both names are probably derived from the word deoradh, referring to an exile.
from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Derron research.Another 212 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1523, 1540, 1807, 1814, 1835, 1878, and 1885 are included under the topic Early Derron History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Names during the Middle Ages were often recorded under several different spelling variations
during the life of their bearers. Literacy was rare at that time and so how a person's name was recorded was decided by the individual scribe. Variations of the name Derron include Doran, Dorran, O'Doran, O'Deorain, Dorain, Doron and others.
Many destitute Irish families
in the 18th and 19th centuries decided to leave their homeland, which had in many ways been scarred by English colonial rule. One of the most frequent destinations for these families was North America where it was possible for an Irish family to own their own parcel of land. Many of the early settlers did find land awaiting them in British North America, or even later in America, but for the majority of immigrants that arrived as a result of the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s the ownership of land was often a long way off. These Irish people were initially put to work on such industrial projects as the building of bridges, canals, and railroads, or they worked at manufacturing positions within factories. Whenever they arrived, the Irish made enormous contributions to the infant nations of Canada and the United States. Some of the earliest immigrants to bearer the name of Derron were found through extensive research of immigration and passenger lists: Bernard, Bridget, Daniel, Francis, Hugh, James, John, Martin, Mary, Michael, Patrick, Robert, Thomas, and William Doran, arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1865..