Dermont History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Dalriadan clans of ancient Scotland spawned the ancestors of the Dermont family. Their name comes from the personal name Dermid which is derived from the Gaelic Mac Dhiarmaid, which means son of Dermid.
Early Origins of the Dermont family
The surname Dermont was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Important Dates for the Dermont family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dermont research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dermont History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dermont Spelling Variations
The medieval practice of spelling according to sound and repeated translation between Gaelic and English created many spelling variations of the same name. Dermont has been recorded as MacDairmid, MacDermid, MacDiarmid, MacDarmid, MacDearmid, MacDermaid, MacDermont and many more.
Early Notables of the Dermont family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dermont Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dermont migration to the United States
Descendents of Dalriadan-Scottish families still populate many communities across North America. They are particularly common in Canada, since many went north as United Empire Loyalists at the time of the American War of Independence. Much later, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the highland games and Clan societies that now dot North America sprang up, allowing many Scots to recover their lost national heritage. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Dermont, or a variant listed above:
Dermont Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Agnes Dermont, who landed in New York, NY in 1817 
- Isabella Dermont, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817 
- William Dermont, who landed in New York, NY in 1817 
- William Dermont, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)