100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Denton family come from? What is the English Denton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Denton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Denton family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Denton, Dennton, Dentone, Dentonn, Dentowne, Dentown, Dentoun, Denntoun, Danton, Dannton and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they the first record of the name was a considerable time before the Norman Conquest when Aelfweard Denton held manor and lands in that county. However, they are also traditionally understood to be a branch of the Barons of Tatershall, descended from Eudo, a companion of the Conqueror.  Denton Hall, located in Denton, a hamlet and civil parish in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire is home to "a large colony"  of the name. The name Denton literally means "farmstead or village in a valley" derived from the Old English "denu" + "tun." Accordingly, there are many listings in the Domesday Book of the name with various spellings including Dentone, Denetun, Danetone, Dentuna, Dentun and Dodintone. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Denton research. Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1066, 1407, 1414, 1515, 1558, 1536, 1558, 1536, 1539, 1547, 1554, 1554, 1558, 1633, 1604, 1622, 1626, 1703 and 1670 are included under the topic Early Denton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 247 words (18 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Denton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Denton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Denton, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1630
- Jacob Denton who settled in Virginia in the year 1633
- Richard Denton settled in Connecticut in 1635
- Jacob Denton, aged 20, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Henrick Denton, who landed in Virginia in 1658
Denton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Trephana Denton, who landed in Virginia in 1719
Denton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Gideon Denton, who arrived in America in 1805
- Charles Denton, aged 34, arrived in New York in 1812
- Mr. Denton, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1821
- Christino Denton, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- J Denton, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
Denton Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Simon Denton, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749
- Eliza Denton, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mary Denton, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Simion Denton, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mr. Joseph Denton U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
Denton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Denton, English convict from Huntingdon, who was transported aboard the "Ann" on August 1809, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- George Denton, English convict from Northampton, who was transported aboard the "Andromeda" on November 13, 1832, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- George Denton arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairlee" in 1840
- Mary Ann Denton arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairlee" in 1840
- Henry Paul Denton arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Siam" in 1841
Denton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Denton, aged 26, a railway labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Reiherstieg" in 1864
- John H. Denton, aged 25, a railway foreman, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Howrah" in 1874
- Annie Denton, aged 35, a cook, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hermione" in 1878
- Arthur "Crahan" Denton (1914-1966), American stage and television actor
- William "Bill" Thomas Denton (1911-1946), American silver medalist artistic gymnast at the 1932 Summer Olympics
- Eric Denton (b. 1978), American soccer player
- Steve Denton (b. 1956), American former professional tennis player for the ATP Tour, inducted into the ITA Hall of Fame
- Jeremiah Andrew Denton (b. 1924), retired United States Navy rear admiral, naval aviator who spent almost eight years as a Prisoner of War and a former Republican U.S. senator
- James Thomas "Jamie" Denton (b. 1963), American film and television actor, best known for playing Mike Delfino in the television series Desperate Housewives
- Denice Dee Denton (1959-2006), ninth chancellor of the University of California, Santa Cruz
- Mr. Jonathan S. Denton, English Barber from New Ferry, England, who worked aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking
- Samuel Denton, English barrister who formed Denton Hall Burgin in 1788 which later became SNR Denton, a multinational law firm with over 1,250 employees
- Alec Sam Denton (b. 1994), English footballer
- The Plum(ly, lee, blee) Family From Bucks to Buncombe, 1682-1982, and Allied Lines: Denton, Murray, Fletcher, Johnson, Gullick, Ballenger by Millard Quentin Plumblee.
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Denton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Denton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 April 2015 at 16:27.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!