Davidsohn History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Davidsohn surname derives from the name of the biblical king David, whose name originally meant "beloved" in Hebrew. The name began to spread among Christians throughout Europe in the Middle Ages. Variations of David are especially popular in Wales, as it is the name of the Patron Saint. The suffixes "sen," "son," etc. mean 'son of' and show that the name was patronymic.
Early Origins of the Davidsohn family
The surname Davidsohn was first found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Davidsohn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Davidsohn research. Another 28 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1500 and 1586 are included under the topic Early Davidsohn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Davidsohn Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Davidson, Davidsohn, Davidsson and others.
Early Notables of the Davidsohn family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Davidsohn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Davidsohn family to Ireland
Some of the Davidsohn family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Davidsohn migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Davidsohn Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hartwig Davidsohn, who landed in New York, NY in 1850 
- J Davidsohn, who arrived in New York, NY in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Davidsohn (post 1700)
- Magnus Davidsohn (1877-1958), Jewish chief cantor of the Fasanenstrasse synagogue from its opening in 1912 until its closing by the Nazis in 1936
- George Davidsohn (b. 1936), Uruguay founder of Davidsohn Global Technologies
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)