Gaelic is at the heart of all the Irish surnames that can be found throughout the world today. The original Gaelic form of the name Darren is O Deoradhain, which was later shortened to O Deorain. Both names are probably derived from the word deoradh, referring to an exile.
Early Origins of the Darren family
The surname Darren was first found in Leix
(Irish: Laois) formerly known as Queen's County, located in central Ireland
, in Leinster
Province, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Darren family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Darren research.Another 212 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1523, 1540, 1807, 1814, 1835, 1878, and 1885 are included under the topic Early Darren History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Darren Spelling Variations
Names during the Middle Ages were often recorded under several different spelling variations
during the life of their bearers. Literacy was rare at that time and so how a person's name was recorded was decided by the individual scribe. Variations of the name Darren include Doran, Dorran, O'Doran, O'Deorain, Dorain, Doron and others.
Early Notables of the Darren family (pre 1700)
Notable among the family name at this time was Maurice Doran, Bishop of Leighlin who was murdered by his archdeacon in 1523; Charles Guilfoyle Doran (1835-1909), Irish... Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Darren Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Darren family to the New World and Oceana
Many destitute Irish families
in the 18th and 19th centuries decided to leave their homeland, which had in many ways been scarred by English colonial rule. One of the most frequent destinations for these families was North America where it was possible for an Irish family to own their own parcel of land. Many of the early settlers did find land awaiting them in British North America, or even later in America, but for the majority of immigrants that arrived as a result of the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s the ownership of land was often a long way off. These Irish people were initially put to work on such industrial projects as the building of bridges, canals, and railroads, or they worked at manufacturing positions within factories. Whenever they arrived, the Irish made enormous contributions to the infant nations of Canada and the United States. Some of the earliest immigrants to bearer the name of Darren were found through extensive research of immigration and passenger lists:
Darren Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Darren, who arrived in Virginia in 1652 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Darren (post 1700)
- Paul Darren Masefield (b. 1970), English former football right back, current television broadcaster
- Austin Darren Daye (b. 1988), American professional NBA basketball player
- Scott Darren Hazell (b. 1987), British actor working in Theatre, Television and Film
- Darren Jarman (b. 1967), Australian former footballer who played from 1985 to 2001, three-times All-Australian team: 1992, 1995–1996
- Mr. Darren Stephen Carvell M.B.E.,, British Petty Officer (Diver) for the Royal Navy, was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire on 29th December 2018 CITATION[CLOSE]
"Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists
- Darren Hanniffy (b. 1978), Irish hurler from Birr, County Offaly, Ireland, brother of Rory Hanniffy
- Darren John Grimwade (b. 1980), Australian politician, Member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly for Morayfield (2012-2015)
- Darren Hossack (b. 1970), Australian multiple-championship winning race car driver
- Darren Carl Huckerby (b. 1976), English former professional footballer from Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, current coach for Norwich City
- Darren Dunning (b. 1981), English footballer from Scarborough, England
Darren Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists