Darian History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Darian family
The surname Darian was first found in Northumberland where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book,  indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Arraynis, held by a Norman noble who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
Early History of the Darian family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Darian research. Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1202 and 1342 are included under the topic Early Darian History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Darian Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Darreyn, Darrin, Darin, Dareyn, Darrene, Araines and others.
Early Notables of the Darian family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Darian Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Darian family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Darian (post 1700) +
- Bruce Harry Darian, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles, California, 2005 (primary), 2009 
- Darian Hagan (b. 1970), American-born, former American football and Canadian football player
- Darian Bernard Durant (b. 1982), American CFL quarterback for the Saskatchewan Roughriders
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 27) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html